Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Hi folks,
I just popped a quick note up regarding the title above.
Perhaps it is just me but do you ever have the "aha" moment, or more commonly for me the "OMG no, what have I done" epiphany, when playing a tactical game?

Where perhaps the choice you made was flawed, yet you realize too late?
I'm starting a brief discussion about that sense or feeling here and looking at the alternative tactics & choices that could have been made using the Find 'em /Fix 'em /Finish 'em "rule" as a benchmark.

What are your worst "oho" moments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
1982 - Don Gruno's Garage.

A double blind Naval Campaign.

Someone forgot to let me know what they were doing, moved in a position that I expected the IJN Cruisers to be, and on a Radar Contact, I decided to open fire, smashing a partner's Cruiser Column to bits.

-------------------

Same Garage, different day.

My IJN cruisers arrogantly doing a congo line patrol got too close to some American Fletcher class DDs, that proceeed to launch torpedoes - I had miscalculated the range, turned too late, and lost 4 IJN cruisers in 5 minutes.

------------------

I got more UhOhs than I can remember...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Great anecdote!
I wrote this also for a new player to the LNL series and new to wargaming.
I wanted to stop 'suggesting moves' to him and provide him with feedback after the game.

It was then I realized that at various points during the game there were opportunities and disasters awaiting both sides as I went thru the log.

Without diving too deeply into the "military manual" (not that I have mind you) you can see some clear alternate choices were available! That the basic company commander, Platoon leader would likely recognize.

Learning to notice those and act on them enriches a game for me.

I've certainly had your experience walking into a game half cocked and boom. All of a sudden this is not as much fun or not the experience one was looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though your examples (and everyone's got their own) may be regrettable from a Gamer's standpoint, I see them rather as superb examples of simulation games doing exactly what they're designed for: you are experiencing and dealing with the inherent chaos, friction, fog, and "subnicience" of warfare (and every other aspect of Life, really [just ask Stock Investors {why do you think Inside Traders do so well?: it's nice to be omniscient]).

That we can calmly & objectively dissect the play afterward is both an added pleasure to sims, as well as the opportunity to examine alternative actions.

All of which helps hone our intuitive skills ~ and continued enjoyment & fascination with our hobby*.

*and afterall, aren't your vivid war stories above an essential part of the total pleasure of sim-gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great topic. Usually my losing moment occurs when I do my first turn. From then on it is usually downhill all the way to demoralization.

In Napoleon's Triumph I have had some moments that I later realized were the turning point that ultimately sealed my defeat.

In one of the games it was going one locale to far with a corpse and getting smashed.

In another it was deciding to stay in my locale one more turn before attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
In one of the games it was going one locale to far with a corpse and getting smashed.

That game has Zombies in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Wilhammer wrote:
Quote:

I think he meant Zombie Triumph?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, I have tons of "turning points" in all my wargames--not just tactical ones! Only my reaction is less "oho" or "uh-oh" and more like "D'oh!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really think of a specific occasion that I can describe in narrative off the top of my head. But I have had plenty of occasions where I realized "now I'm Playing for a draw." And lots of occasions where I have had one of my regular opponents have to patiently explain why he is giving up. And as many where I'm explaining to the other guy why I'm giving up. Then I just look at my watch and try to figure out if we have enough time to play the scenario again and whether or not we should switch sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I can't really think of a specific occasion that I can describe in narrative off the top of my head. But I have had plenty of occasions where I realized "now I'm Playing for a draw." And lots of occasions where I have had one of my regular opponents have to patiently explain why he is giving up. And as many where I'm explaining to the other guy why I'm giving up. Then I just look at my watch and try to figure out if we have enough time to play the scenario again and whether or not we should switch sides.

Good one Lance, sometimes when we think we have lost the other guy does not see it!
That what happened in the example blog post I listed above. I got lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Quote:

When I made the move they went from being a corps to becoming a corpse. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.