Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a good 2-player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! This weekend i'm gonna treat myself with a new board game. Mostly a 2-player game but that could be played with 3+ too. I have 4-5 games on my wishlist so far and just thought about DS.

I play 2 days a week: 2-player mondays and 4-player thursdays.

I want a game that is as enjoyable with 2 as it is with 3 or 4!

Is Dominant species is this game?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with every number of players and I prefer it with more. There is just alot more interaction with more players. both with the action system, the direct player interactions and the interactions and side effects of the cards.

It's not bad with 2, but I personally wouldn't pull it out for 2 players anymore, unless someone specifically wanted to play it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have so far played this only as two player, and we enjoy it very much. We haven't had the time to gather others and teach it yet. The game length is the only thing keeping that from happening.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is "okay" but an entirely different game. The zero-sum aspect means there is a huge advantage to he who is able to secure a tile for himself. This results in each player attempting to be on every tile. I have played it this way once and I suspect I will never again.

I personally find four players to be the best. Three and five were fine also.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
It is "okay" but an entirely different game. The zero-sum aspect means there is a huge advantage to he who is able to secure a tile for himself. This results in each player attempting to be on every tile. I have played it this way once and I suspect I will never again.

I personally find four players to be the best. Three and five were fine also.


I agree with Daniel. Four players seems optimal for this game.

Just like Lords of Waterdeep's Intrique Cards, many of the Dominant Species Damnation er, Domination cards have abilities that are more "fun" with more players. They still work with 2 players, but they become less ... devil fun devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
However, I will say that the nice thing about 2-player:
You'll never get screwed by someone who attacked the wrong player because they didn't fully comprehend who was truly winning at the time. That is frustrating! (but a fact of life with all multiplayer area-control games... AGoT, Eclipse, DS, etc. etc. etc.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu B.
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonjour,
Personnaly, I think it is a good 2 players game, but it need two adjustments to break the easy runaway leader.
1- Cut the Tundra bonus points in half (divide by 2 round up)
2- Remove the Dominance Cards that add or remove AP and the Catastrophe card.

Have fun!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok with two, but much better with more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I agree with the general consensus here. I really prefer it as a 4 player but I also like it 2 player. However it is a totally different game as 2 player and it may not suit everyone. It is highly cut-throat and one slip and you're out, which I actually like. In 3+ player if you slip up other players usually switch their focus to someone else (the game is not really a Euro, it has no self balancing or restricting mechanism and it does not go easy on players playing badly)

The 2 or 3 animals per player can balance it out.

I really like the 2 player though and often play it with very tight results. However we have both played the game a lot and know all the subtleties. If you hate losing badly while learning or do not feel like putting some time into it you may not like it.

This is my only 10 game though so as far as I'm concerned it is near perfect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll disagree with the folks here. With 2 players, this becomes a skill game. Little or no randomness due to player order. The better player will almost always win here. The problem is, when you are the best, no one will want to play 2-player games with you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
vidra wrote:
I'll disagree with the folks here. With 2 players, this becomes a skill game. Little or no randomness due to player order. The better player will almost always win here. The problem is, when you are the best, no one will want to play 2-player games with you.


I think everyone is right really as it depends on them and their expectations. As you say it is very skill dependant. If I have an off game I get thrashed in 2 player as I was last week. I really do like it that way though and I still enjoyed the game.

I think the fact it is sold and often perceived as a Euro is unfortunate as people expect a more gentle, self correcting game (such as Eclipse's higher cost for expansion as an example)

So if the Op is looking for a game that will almost always guarantee tight scores and letting off of mistakes he won't get it here, especially with 2 player.

When all is said and done though this is by far the most addictive game I own. I always know why I lost and the drive to improve keeps me wanting to play again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
vidra wrote:
I'll disagree with the folks here. With 2 players, this becomes a skill game. Little or no randomness due to player order. The better player will almost always win here. The problem is, when you are the best, no one will want to play 2-player games with you.


I'm not sure you understand what randomness is... Just because you can't predict another player's actions does not mean it introduces randomness...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobthe wrote:
vidra wrote:
I'll disagree with the folks here. With 2 players, this becomes a skill game. Little or no randomness due to player order. The better player will almost always win here. The problem is, when you are the best, no one will want to play 2-player games with you.


I'm not sure you understand what randomness is... Just because you can't predict another player's actions does not mean it introduces randomness...


Thank you for pointing out my cognitive deficiency. I shall sequester myself and dedicate the next 20 years of my life to studying the meaning of randomness lest I should post something quite as inadequate in a thread like this, thus causing general distress and mayhem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Infinite Presence in a Violent Universe" by Synodic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
beam1306 wrote:
Bonjour,
Personnaly, I think it is a good 2 players game, but it need two adjustments to break the easy runaway leader.
1- Cut the Tundra bonus points in half (divide by 2 round up)
2- Remove the Dominance Cards that add or remove AP and the Catastrophe card.

Have fun!



My gaming group points to your option 2 whenever this game comes up in conversation. They had played it a number of times before I joined the group. The unfortunate thing is that I'd really love to play it with them as I quite enjoy the game, but they continue to stand with their opinion that the game is "broken" because of the presence of the add/remove AP Domination cards. Has anyone else found that these cards "ruin" the game for your group?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zythal wrote:
beam1306 wrote:
Bonjour,
Personnaly, I think it is a good 2 players game, but it need two adjustments to break the easy runaway leader.
1- Cut the Tundra bonus points in half (divide by 2 round up)
2- Remove the Dominance Cards that add or remove AP and the Catastrophe card.

Have fun!



My gaming group points to your option 2 whenever this game comes up in conversation. They had played it a number of times before I joined the group. The unfortunate thing is that I'd really love to play it with them as I quite enjoy the game, but they continue to stand with their opinion that the game is "broken" because of the presence of the add/remove AP Domination cards. Has anyone else found that these cards "ruin" the game for your group?



No not at all. I can see the argument for the AP cards even though I disagree. But Catastrophe? Living in fear of catastrophe is great fun. So is getting to play it. And so is trying to maneuver so it gets played on someone other than me.

And Blight is worse than Catastrophe anyway.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.