Subject: Expansions like Stand Alone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p p
United States
p
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Is it possible to play each of Dominion's expansions like stand alone?
For example using only cards from Prosperity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, as long as you have the base treasure/victory cards.

I believe Rio Grande is about to release a set of just treasure/victory cards to make this even easier.

In short, you can set up the 10 Kingdom cards with whatever you want, including all Prosperity cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one that might be difficult is Alchemy. But only if you have a problem with everyone opening with Potion/silver or Potion/Herbalist. (or, I suppose, Silver/Silver, if they are just giving up and going Big Money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p p
United States
p
Mississippi
flag msg tools
But the only cards of Prosperity aren't too much expensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Saruman wrote:

There are 8 cards in the set in the $3-4 range and 9 at $5. Those are the easiest to buy. Naturally, the $6 and $7 cards can be very powerful, but you are going to need that to get up to $9 for Platinum and $11 for a Colony. Colony games typically take only a turn or two longer than Province games because the deck power ramps up so much higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Saruman wrote:

Well, you pay about the same price for Prosperity (25 kingdom cards) as you do for the Base Set (aka Dominion) or Intrigue (25 kingdom cards + basic treasure, victories, curses), so if you go with Prosperity and the upcoming Basic Cards set you will end up paying about $20-25 more (however much that set will cost) than you would if you just bought Dominion or Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald specifically designs the large expansions so that they are playable on their own. You do need to have a set of base cards, available in Dominion, Dominion: Intrigue, and the forthcoming Dominion: Base Cards. When testing, I will often play the large sets standalone.

The small expansions (Dominion: Alchemy, Dominion: Cornucopia, and the forthcoming Dominion: Guilds) are not really big enough to sustain much standalone play. When testing, I usually mix the small sets with at least one other set.

For Prosperity specifically, the cards tend to be more expensive, but if you're playing with all-Prosperity you will have Colony and Platinum in play which balances it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Donald specifically designs the large expansions so that they are playable on their own. You do need to have a set of base cards, available in Dominion, Dominion: Intrigue, and the forthcoming Dominion: Base Cards. When testing, I will often play the large sets standalone.

The small expansions (Dominion: Alchemy, Dominion: Cornucopia, and the forthcoming Dominion: Guilds) are not really big enough to sustain much standalone play. When testing, I usually mix the small sets with at least one other set.

For Prosperity specifically, the cards tend to be more expensive, but if you're playing with all-Prosperity you will have Colony and Platinum in play which balances it out.

Jeff, how much play testing do you do? Also, how do you do most of it, online or in person?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
Jeff, how much play testing do you do? Also, how do you do most of it, online or in person?

I'm not sure how to answer the "how much" question. I try to playtest regularly, limited by my own time constraints and my ability to find willing players. Most of my personal playtesting is done in person, but a lot of the recent Dominion playtesting has happened on Isotropic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Loves Happiness!!!
United States
Eagle Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost always, we mix an expansion with at least one other. This is mostly because we enjoy finding new combos, and if we only play with two sets it's easier to remember which ones were good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.