Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Jureidini
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question on this - from what i read in the forums and read in the rules, I understand for example in a Time attack, I can roll say 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear dice.. I get a 1, caution, caution.
If i now want to move an extra space - or spaces - (acceleration dice or 4th gear) I can PAY for it using my seconds counters to ensure a safe roll.

So - I am assuming that I also had the option to not pay those counters and roll another set of dice to continue chaining gears if I wanted (minimum 2 dice as stated in rules)- Am I understanding this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you are doing a Time Attack roll, you cannot use your seconds.

I think you have to decide either you are rolling all the selected dice at once for a time attack or you are rolling them individually and at that time you can use your seconds.

Only played 2 times so take the above with a grain of salt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clegg
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jureidinim wrote:
Question on this - from what i read in the forums and read in the rules, I understand for example in a Time attack, I can roll say 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear dice.. I get a 1, caution, caution.
If i now want to move an extra space - or spaces - (acceleration dice or 4th gear) I can PAY for it using my seconds counters to ensure a safe roll.

You have misunderstood. A Time Attack means you choose all the dice you're going to use, and you roll them all at once. You cannot spend time tokens to make any of those dice "safe" (you *receive* time tokens, one for each die you rolled, even if you end up losing control).

If you are not doing a Time Attack, you roll one die at a time, and can choose to stop rolling at any time. You can choose to spend time tokens to make the next die you roll "safe", at a cost of 1 for the first die you make safe, 2 for the next, and so on.

So in your example, if you were doing a Time Attack and decided to roll 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear dice, and got two cautions, you'd move three spaces, take a 3rd gear card and receive 3 second time tokens. You could not decide to roll more dice at that point (even if you weren't going to make them safe).

If you were not doing a Time Attack, you would've rolled the 1st gear, then 2nd gear (caution), then 3rd gear (caution) and then you have three options:

1. Stop.
2. Roll another die (4th gear or acceleration) and take your chances.
3. Spend a 1-second time token to make the next die roll "safe".

You decide if you're doing a Time Attack at the start of your turn, and you either do it for your turn, or you don't.

...Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot combine time attack (rolling multiple dice simultaneously) with the regular movement (rolling one die at a time).

You either roll all of the dice you intend to use all at once (although it's possible to modify the order they are used after the roll) or you roll one at a time, choosing with each die whether you wish to pay time tokens to secure it.

Also, note that the cost of each die secured goes up. For example:

I want to roll a Gas (I ended in 4th gear last turn) to hit a jump at +1 speed, then roll 3, 4, 5, G. I can pay 1 time token to secure the jump die, then say I roll two cautions. I can then spend 2 MORE time tokens (for a total of 3 spent this turn) to secure the 5th gear die. I can then either spend 3 more time tokens to secure the final gas die, take my chances and roll it, or just stop there.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jureidini
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - i really misunderstood - I guess it was the placement of the rules for the seconds usage - being posted right after Time attack rules - i didnt realize they were referring to the original one-dice-at-a-time-roll.

Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.