Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am look for some help with the title, and a few terms used in this WIP.
Also if you read what is below and you think that it would fit a re-theme some how away from business and to something like, oh who knows, lets say pan handling, let me know. Well lets try to stick to a theme that would make sense.

About 1 month ago my friends and I played another game of Sid Sacksons great classic Acquire. At the end of the game we all agreed, once again, that Acquire is a fantastic game, but we thought that it could be expanded to make it a bit deeper, if not a bit harder to win. I started thinking of possible rule variants.

As time went on the variants that I was coming up with grew and grew and really it came to a point where just modifying the rules wasn't good enough, it became obvious to me that what it needed was a new board, new rules etc.

I want to first be clear that this is not an Acquire expansion, and nothing like this MEGAcquire game that is basically Acquire, double its size and make it hexes.

At this point I am making a prototype and typing up the rules in order to play test it with my games group over the next little bit.

To understand whats different lets get some things up here about the inspiration, Acquire.
In Acquire, there are 7 companies, each with 25 shares, a 12x10 grid board. You form companies, buy shares, and take over the smaller, until there are, most of the time, 2 - 4 large companies surviving at the end. There are things like share bonuses, and pretty simple rules.

How does my WIP differ?
At the root the game follows its inspiration, there is a grid board, however the grid is a bit different. There will be around the same number of companies, and yes those companies will have shares and buy eachother out etc. The rules for forming companies are so great in Acquire that there is little use for changing anything, I feel they are staple rules along the lines of placing a tile so the graphics line up as in Carcassone and countless other games.

Now for whats new.
First off there are two types of companies. Right now I am going with factories and corporations but something about that doesn't feel right. This is the first thing I need ideas on. Basically unlike Acquire where the companies interact solely based on size, in this WIP yes the larger company buys out the smaller one. But the payouts etc will be dependent on what type of company the larger one is, and also what type of company is being bought out. So a corporation buying a factory will offer different benefits than a corporation buying a corporation, a factory buying a factory, or a factory buying a corporation.

Second there is another aspect to the companies, not only are there shares, but also each player will have a set number of "managers" that they will have the opportunity to put in management roles within the different companies. And like the shares above, what happens to those managers and what bonuses etc are given will be dependent on what type of companies are involved in the merger and which side of it your manager sits on. Oh and each company can have up to 4 managers "hired" when the company is founded.

The grid will be a bit different as I mentioned, the current plan is that there will be reoccurring grid locations (like A1) on the board so there will be some option on where to place your tiles rather than A1 being only the very top left of the board.

My hope is that this game will feel similar to Acquire except that it will require a lot more careful planning and winning will depend on having the proper shares, becoming the president etc of the largest companies etc. Oh I forgot to mention, in this game cross the board trading of anything is possible. So you want that last share to give you a majority, maybe offer that player cash, maybe offer them that seat in the boardroom, maybe offer that merger tile they want so bad!

I don't want to go to much into specifics right now, especially since the rules I am looking at right now haven't been tested to see if they work well and are fun.

Anyway, I am also looking for ideas for a name, something that sings to the dual company style of the game and the business aspects such as shares and managers etc. Obviously the game should it ever get made would need some sort of shout out to Acquire as inspiration.

Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Corporate Raiders" maybe?

Also, I'd suggest going with "investment company" and "manufacturing company" or something like that. ("venture capital" or "fund" vs. "manufacturer" or "producer" are other suggestions) "Corporation" is very generic, and actually the majority of sizable companies are corporations regardless of what they do (e.g., Ford, Walmart, Pfizer, IBM, etc., are all corporations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks JJL, you are thinking the same thing I was about terms like corporation etc.

So one things I was thinking that gives a very good impression of what the game is all about is "Equity"

Just in case someone doesn't know, Equity is "the value of an ownership interest in property, including shareholders' equity in a business" - wikipedia.

I think the term is a good representation, although maybe a bit stale for these days. Acquire is a pretty stale title but its a classic that comes the "olden days"

Any ideas on that like
"Sweat Equity" - maybe sounds a bit grimey or unappealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just "Equity" is better. Simple, easy to remember, easy to say. Maybe not quite descriptive enough since it's not an everyday term everyone will know (in this context), but pairing it with an adjective won't help that. Just my two cents.

How about "Hostile Takeover" or "The Boardroom" or something like that?

Kingsix wrote:
Thanks JJL, you are thinking the same thing I was about terms like corporation etc.

So one things I was thinking that gives a very good impression of what the game is all about is "Equity"

Just in case someone doesn't know, Equity is "the value of an ownership interest in property, including shareholders' equity in a business" - wikipedia.

I think the term is a good representation, although maybe a bit stale for these days. Acquire is a pretty stale title but its a classic that comes the "olden days"

Any ideas on that like
"Sweat Equity" - maybe sounds a bit grimey or unappealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJL_WashDC wrote:

I think just "Equity" is better. Simple, easy to remember, easy to say. Maybe not quite descriptive enough since it's not an everyday term everyone will know (in this context), but pairing it with an adjective won't help that

You may be right JJL.
In terms of Hostile Takeover or The Boardroom, I don't know if those are right for a game like this game.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.