Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, back in 2008 I had a pretty good "opening day" story when I finally got my coveted copy of HIS in the mail:

Quote:
My copy of Here I Stand arrived in the mail yesterday, and all I can say is, this game must be really historically accurate, because tearing it open was a religious experience.

You know, I never thought I would be one of those guys who, upon tearing open a game, immediately punch out all the little pieces and sort them into little baggies. I used to laugh (just a little) at those guys. Now it turns out I'm one of them. Time to practice that repentence Luther was always going on about.

I said to my wife that I had no idea why I felt the need to immediately sort out all these little pieces, and she said, "because it's cool."

Today I am a happy guy.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/298710/yes-i-am-a-geek

Guess what? Now I can top that.

My copy of Virgin Queen arrived yesterday and my six-year-old daughter could see how excited I was about it. She wanted to know what it was. I told her that it's a board game - a board game that takes an entire day to play!

Her eyes got really wide and she said, "Whoooooooooa!"

She was disappointed when I told her it was a game for grown-ups. But later that evening she said, "let's pretend to play your game!"

So we opened it up and I showed her the components. I showed her the pirates (the naval leaders with piracy bonuses) and she thought that was cool. She likes pirates. Then she saw the counters marked VP and asked what "VP" was; I told her it meant victory points, and you need to get those to win the game.

Right then, she knew what to do. She took the VP counters and a bunch of the skull and bones piracy markers and at war/ally markers (same size) and told me to look away. While my back was turned, she mixed up the counters and spread them out over the Europe map.

"On the count of three, we race to grab as many VPs as we can. You can pick up the other counters if you want. If you pick up a pirate piece, you also get a pirate. But watch out! If you pick up one that says 'at war' . . . you get warred." She smiled.

It makes for a surprisingly difficult game. The Europe map has a whole lot of stuff going on and the tiny little VP counters tend to blend in. And little hands are better for grabbing them! Ed should really consider approving this as an official variant.

A good time was had by all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story. I take it she won? arrrh

Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also could teach her something about history of our world! Virgin queen is a great era that marked the history.

I would like to teach my son these kind of games, he´s just 1 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
This shouldn't go in the 'general' forum - this should go as a Session Report!

Thank you for sharing - LOVED THE REPORT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry wrote:
This shouldn't go in the 'general' forum - this should go as a Session Report!

Thank you for sharing - LOVED THE REPORT!

Either that or "variants"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.