Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: [poll] only 5 dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
5 just doesn't seem like enough...
How many dice do you use in Arkham Horror
6-9
>10
      171 answers
Poll created by Heisenberg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My standard set has the 12 Axis & Allies dice + 10 other dice in there. That's almost enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The supplied ones (5?), plus a set of 12 in some suitably strange swirly Chessex colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

20 Chessex custom normal dice
20 Chessex custom blessed dice
20 Chessex custom cursed dice
6 yellow sign dice
6 Miskatonic U dice
5 Q Workshop black/green dice
5 standard d6 that came with the game
-----
82 dice total cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 15 black FFG dice myself. It covers most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just totally blew my mind. I've been sitting here reading the rulebook and setting up the board for the last 1.5 hours. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how I was supposed to add a +6 modifier to my roll when the game only comes with 5 dice. Apparently, I need more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a dice cup since I hate (as in, it infuriates me to the point of premature hair loss) when dice bounce all over the table knocking game pieces over left, right, and center.

With a dice cup, five dice of the size that come with AH is actually almost too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I get where you are coming from with dice going everywhere, but I also dislike rerolling the dice again and again for one roll. I find a dozen is about right, and errant dice-rollers get fed to the Shoggoth in the baseme- I mean, we don't play with them again. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twelve, covers most situations with minimum rerolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 8 sets of 12 Chessex dice:

Speckled: Recon, Stealth, Silver Volcano, Cobalt
Gemini: Copper-Steel/White, Black-Red/Gold (the latter have Custom Elder Signs for 1s)
Scarab: Jade/Gold (Custom Elder Signs for 1s)
Frosted: Pink (Wings LOVES pink!)

Any potential player would get their own set of 12, but mostly it's so the usual cultists may mix'n'match to please the universe before the game begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oughta come with dozens of little dice like "A Touch Of Evil"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:

20 Chessex custom normal dice
20 Chessex custom blessed dice
20 Chessex custom cursed dice
6 yellow sign dice
6 Miskatonic U dice
5 Q Workshop black/green dice
5 standard d6 that came with the game
-----
82 dice total cool

Sounds about the right number for a solo game... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Pope wrote:
This just totally blew my mind. I've been sitting here reading the rulebook and setting up the board for the last 1.5 hours. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how I was supposed to add a +6 modifier to my roll when the game only comes with 5 dice. Apparently, I need more dice.

Or - and this is a stretch, I know - you could actually reroll some of the dice, thereby remembering the already accumulated successes...
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Mighty Pope wrote:

Or - and this is a stretch, I know - you could actually reroll some of the dice, thereby remembering the already accumulated successes...
cool

Taking away a man's need to buy more dice is just wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
At first I thought about buying more dice, until I saw my wife rolling 6 dices in 2,2,2. She seems to prefer it that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:
Taking away a man's need to buy more dice is just wrong.

I hear you, man.
But the need to buy more dice can NEVER be quelled!!! Being a RPGamer, I know that myself. I just don't buy additional dice for any board game...
8)

Or so I thought.
And then I bought the FFG dice for AH, with the intention to replace the original ones. But since my wife used them the first time, and rolled next to no successes throughout the whole game, she is certain that they are cursed...
So I use the Accursed Dice of the Great Old Ones, and everyone else uses the original 5.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

And then I bought the FFG dice for AH, with the intention to replace the original ones. But since my wife used them the first time, and rolled next to no successes throughout the whole game, she is certain that they are cursed...
So I use the Accursed Dice of the Great Old Ones, and everyone else uses the original 5.
devil

Funny but I bought both colors of the FFG AH dice and both of them seem cursed to me. I was lucky to roll an occasional success with them. Meanwhile the original dice in the box seem loaded to throw 6s 80% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Loves Happiness!!!
United States
Eagle Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
Dumon wrote:

devil

Funny but I bought both colors of the FFG AH dice and both of them seem cursed to me. I was lucky to roll an occasional success with them. Meanwhile the original dice in the box seem loaded to throw 6s 80% of the time.

Weird... my FFG AH dice also seem cursed... I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Addendum: Used these dice once for Can't Stop... and will never do that again. Game lasted for an hour and then we gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use 12mm Chessex dice. They're nice and small so they don't knock things around too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got 12 eldritch-green dice with Yellow Signs instead of "1". Twelve is good because I can keep some near me and leave some near other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ykphuah wrote:
At first I thought about buying more dice, until I saw my wife rolling 6 dices in 2,2,2. She seems to prefer it that way!

The correct plural of "die" is of course deeskepedeauxes. whistle

White Knight wrote:
I like to use 12mm Chessex dice. They're nice and small so they don't knock things around too much.

I've tried the little dice but I'm not really a fan, tbh. I like my dice the way I like my sexual partners- chunky, mottled and with multiple smooth faces.

...I may have spent too long playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb

I use 20-40 depending on the size of the group playing, I put them into groups of 10 or so each and spread them out so everyone can reach a pile. I dont know the size in mm of them, but they are rather small so easy to throw alot of them at once. I simply went with a green marble type look that fit the theme of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Collins
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I have 4 packs of 36 D6's lying around (we play D&D as well) so I normally grab one of these backs of mini D6's to use as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.