Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have both of these sites bookmarked for a while now, but I've never actually done anything with them.

In a nutshell - can someone sum up the differences/advantages/benefits to each? And, is it literally a case of "search for an author" then rate or comment on each work?

Thanks....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on Goodreads. I do like being able to see what my friends are reading and the ratings are somewhat helpful. After about 50 books rated, the recommendations it has given me have actually been mildly helpful. I mostly use it to track what I've read and to set up a central page for my book club.

From what I understand, there are pros and cons between Goodreads and Library Thing, but most people tend to prefer the one they found first, since they already have their data entered.

I found a pretty good blog post summing up the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr StinkyPants
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Goodreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Check out these threads:

Books: software to manage my own 'library'
So... when will there be a BRG?
GoodReads: HowTo...?
Recommendation of Social Cataloging Site for Books
While we wait for books.geekdo.com...
BGG equivalent for Books?
Goodreads
Book Geek Site?
Anyone else on Library Thing?
Goodreads.com
BGG-like website for books
Is there a BookGeek homepage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got setup on Goodreads yesterday, mostly because my friends were on it and it's nice to track and compare books. I haven't looked too much into the recomendations yet.

My "to read" list is already long enough based on the recommendations I find in the monthly "what did you read..." threads on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use LibraryThing. For the most part, I use it for cataloging my reading history. I really like that it has a ton of different data fields that you can use, and you can customize the collection view to see only the fields you use. Basically, when I start reading a new book, I add it to my collection, and note the start date. When I finish, I record the end date and give it a rating and comment. (Yes, that's a little like BGG--that's just how I think.)

I don't use any social features. The recommendation engine is not great--it mostly gives you books by authors I already read (and I know about those already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Goodreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.