Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing Race for the galaxy and I saw it has 3 expansions. I'd like to know what it's worth purchasing based I have limited playing time/dates so the game won't see enough table to add a lot of complexity. I know RFtG requires a certain level of dedication so I want to keep it simple enough but I'd like to purchase at least one to add more variety in subsequent (a lot of) plays.

Regards

Pablo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just buy them in order of release date. Or you could wait and get the newest expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Others might disagree, but I felt like the addition of the goals was a significant change over the base game and that the shifting nature of the mix of goals from one game to the next adds to the re-playability. Also they add new start worlds which helps to keep the game fresh.

So the first two expansions are the ones I would consider.

Expansion #1 gathering storm was a little bit disappointing in terms of new content for the cards (many of the cards are blank "make you own" kinds) but it introduced the goals and new start worlds which I like.

Expansion #2 rebel vs. imperium adds some new goals, start worlds and some worthy new cards as well. I don't care for the takeovers introduced in this expansion. Some people like them, some don't so your mileage may vary.

I would probably skip expansion #3 as it adds quit a bit more complexity. It's not a bad expansion but I think of the 3 it is the farthest from your criteria.

So 1 and 2 are both are good choices in my opinion so lets see what other people have to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your criteria I'd just go with the base game. If it ends up being a hit then get the first expansion, Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm. The goals really do add a lot to the base game without an appreciable increase in rules overhead.

If, as you say, you don't expect to get Race to the table much, then I'd skip the next two expansions as they radically increase the level of complexity. Playing Race with takeovers and prestige (i.e., with all three expansions added in) makes for a completely different game—rich, deep, complex (some would say overly so) but one that requires a dedicated play group and constant contact to get the payoff for the effort required.

Meanwhile, Race plus Gathering Storm is a very satisfying experience—and the one we default to if we haven't played in a while.

Hope this helps, and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all just confirmed my initial thoughs. I'm pretty inclined to buy RFtG plus RFtG: TGS. My only fear is the ratio "price per contents".

I'll be in the States I think in June, so maybe Alien Artifacts would be good as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest base + TGS or maybe base + AA, though we don't know when it will be released yet.

RvI and BoW are both good, but you won't need them if you're not going to play it much, I think the base game alone can last for 100+ games, and if you like RftG base + TGS would be enough for at least 100-200 games after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
You all just confirmed my initial thoughs. I'm pretty inclined to buy RFtG plus RFtG: TGS. My only fear is the ratio "price per contents".

I'll be in the States I think in June, so maybe Alien Artifacts would be good as well?

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but judging by this post and the next, i would suggest Base game + Alien Artifacts. AA is scheduled for May release. TGS would almost be a waste at this point. Save it for when you've played out AA and want to visit the first arc in its entirety, in due time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got all three expansions but haven't bothered with the third much. Gaining the goals made a big difference though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat new to the game. I purchased the base game and now have the first expansion.

I've not tried the "goals" addition to the game, but did add the cards. I found it was a great addition, as not only did it add more starting worlds, it brought some balance by giving military worlds a boost.

I now consider the first expansion cards and base game essential, and would recommend you buy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.