A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bronn's Special Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Lannisters against Starks last night and the Starks did a Military Challenge with Army of the North, the card with 11 Strength. I defended with Bronn and had payed 2 gold to activate his ability which says something like

Pay 2 gold and choose a character, if that character is killed later this phase, stand Bronn from knelling instead.

So I choose the character that I plan on killing off when I lose the Military Challenge for his ability. Once my opponent wins the challenge, then my character that would be killed LIVES and I get to stand Bronn????

The guy I was playing against screamed FOUL and said No Way, that's way too powerful for just 2 gold. Neither of us have a ton of experience with the game so we read the Bronn card several times and he finally begrudgingly agreed to let me do. Did we play it correctly? If not, how is it supposed to be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Any Phase: Pay 2 gold to choose a character. Until the end of the phase, if that character would be killed and Bronn is kneeling, stand Bronn instead of killing that character.

From http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/core-set...

Yes that seems right. Barring any errata for him(which I found none) that sounds like the correct way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the correct way to play it. Note that Bronn would have to be kneeling at the time of the kill, but that is exactly how it works.

2 gold is fairly expensive for a character ability, and the fact that you need to have some foresight as to which character you want him to protect AND have Bronn kneeling at that time makes his ability reasonably well-balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
That is the correct way to play it. Note that Bronn would have to be kneeling at the time of the kill, but that is exactly how it works.

2 gold is fairly expensive for a character ability, and the fact that you need to have some foresight as to which character you want him to protect AND have Bronn kneeling at that time makes his ability reasonably well-balanced.

Agreed

There are many variables that could make this ability ineffective, lack of gold, stark player has initiative and acts first and Bronn wasn't able to kneel because he was stealthed, just to name a few. It can get especially tricky if the stark player has a claim 2 plot and lays down a Winter is Coming event (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/core-set...) or Robb Stark (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/core-set...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, killing Bronn stops those Shenanigans cold. You played it exactly correctly. Your opponent will find other ways to kill of your lions though. Never fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
mb
Sounds like things weren't going so well in the first place for House Stark. My advice would be to read the cards as literally as possible and don't try to out think yourself. If you have a conflict, try to amicably resolve the issue and agree on a solution until you can look it up after the game. Lannister, especially right out of the core set is going to have a significant economic advantage over the other houses but on the other hand 2 gold is about the going rate for any number of attachments or locations. What drove my opponent crazy was when I would end up with 3 or 4 gold and after dominance, during standing, use Raff the Sweetling to redistribute his characters to the bottom of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thing about this Bronn is that he's a Knight.
Playing along with the other Lanny Knights (plenty in A Game of Thrones: The Card Game – Lions of the Rock) and the Knights of the Realm Agenda, you can build a pretty nasty deck! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.