Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I really want to get a worker placement game, however play time is a very big factor for my group. I am looking for a game that fits the following:

- Max play time with 3 players of 75 minutes
- Max play time with 4 players of 90 minutes
- Must be very good with 3 players
- Must be at least decent with 2 players

I am asking for opinions here because I find many game companies fudge the play time estimate for increased sales. Also, it is tough to tell with certain games how well they scale.

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

Scales well with 2-5 players, multiple paths to victory, nice components.

When my daughter and I play 2-player, it takes us right at an hour to complete. Add 15 minutes per player after that (once you get the hang of the rules, etc...which are not that difficult to grasp). When my other daughter and my wife play as well, we finish right at 1.5 hours.

Plays best with 3-4 players, but plays well with 2 players too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Age of Empires

Also look at(not in any particular order):

Lords of Waterdeep
Zong Shi
Stone Age

One other, but it might be a slightly longer, but it is excellent with 2 players is Belfort. (And when I say longer I mean another half hour at most.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely love me some Stone Age. You can try it on Yucata.de. I just ordered my own copy yesterday and it should be here tomorrow! Love that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires is certainly interesting, I always saw the 120 minute play time and put it in the same boat as Caylus, Agricola and Le Havre as games that I would never have time to play.

Stone Age, for some reason, doesn't really appeal to me. I read the rules and it seems well done, with nice components and it is probably a fun game, but I am just not feeling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Fircrest
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus isn't really that long, except for the first play when you learn the rules. I'd say it falls easily within the 75min-90min timeframe. And initial setup is a lot lighter than Agricola and its likes.

It's a brilliant game and one of my only 10s, you should at least give it a try !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project is something you will not like to miss out.. It definitely plays shorter than it seems (120min) if you're playing with experienced players..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Age of Empires is certainly interesting, I always saw the 120 minute play time and put it in the same boat as Caylus, Agricola and Le Havre as games that I would never have time to play.

I cannot see AoE taking 2 hours with four players, unless it is your very first game, or you have someone who takes 3-4 minutes to mull over each and every move...just an FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
District 12 plays very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Ninjato nuff said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egizia is also perfect for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olympus (not to be confused with Olympos)
Age of Empires is also great, but Olympus can be played in about half the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shintora wrote:

Ninjato nuff said!

Another great suggestion...although I think AoE plays better with 2 people... But have only played one 2-player game of Ninjato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

I have looked at Egizia, but the huge swings some of the Sphinx cards bring is a bit of a turn off. I like a little luck in my games, but I hate feeling like I lost just because my opponent lucked into one or two overpowered cards. I have also heard this complain with Stone Age, though to a lesser degree, which is why I am lukewarm on both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I have looked at Egizia, but the huge swings some of the Sphinx cards bring is a bit of a turn off. I like a little luck in my games, but I hate feeling like I lost just because my opponent lucked into one or two overpowered cards. I have also heard this complain with Stone Age, though to a lesser degree, which is why I am lukewarm on both games.

With Stone Age? No...not possible. There are some cards that are better than others, but there are no gonzo "take that" or super-powered cards. The cards are all very balanced for the most part, and their value is entirely relative to your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

With Stone Age? No...not possible. There are some cards that are better than others, but there are no gonzo "take that" or super-powered cards. The cards are all very balanced for the most part, and their value is entirely relative to your strategy.

I did say it wasn't as bad in Stone Age as in Egizia, but I have still seen several comments about the cards being a bit swingy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I did say it wasn't as bad in Stone Age as in Egizia, but I have still seen several comments about the cards being a bit swingy.

To be blunt, I have no idea how anyone could consider the cards in Stone Age "swingy". The most powerful card you can get is a x3 multiplier, but it only matters if you have targeted the specific thing it multiplies (either your number of building, workers or food track rank). And by choosing it, you forego access to other actions which are often at a premium.

So no, believe me, I'm not here to defend Stone Age, just to say, that I utterly and completely disagree with whoever made that assessment. The cards are in no way swingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

To be blunt, I have no idea how anyone could consider the cards in Stone Age "swingy". The most powerful card you can get is a x3 multiplier, but it only matters if you have targeted the specific thing it multiplies (either your number of building, workers or food track rank). And by choosing it, you forego access to other actions which are often at a premium.

So no, believe me, I'm not here to defend Stone Age, just to say, that I utterly and completely disagree with whoever made that assessment. The cards are in no way swingy.

I'll back Jason here. The person who said this was either playing wrong or poorly. The cards in Stone Age are most definitely not swingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City
= I haven't play it with two, so can't comment for that part
= 5 players take about 75-100mins

Caylus Magna Carta
= 4 players in about 75 mins
= decent with two

Fresco
= 4 players in about 90 mins
= great with two, but requires a dummy player

Glen More
= worker placement is just tiny fraction of it
= great with two but requires a dummy. Easy as you simply roll a die to determine his move
= full 5 players in about 60-75mins

The Speicherstadt
= 5 players in about 45-55mins!
= good with two and can be very competitive

Walnut Grove
= decent with two
= full 4 players in about 60-75mins

Pergamon
= not really a worker placement game
= decent with two but requires a dummy. Super easy to control
= great-decent with two

Santiago de Cuba
= worker placement is just small part of the game
= decent with two
= full 4 players take only 45-60mins

Let us know what you're getting yeah.
- Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

They are not swingy, but they are an unexpectedly large part of your score. New players are often shocked when they have the lead by 30 points at the end of the game and then an opponent turns over 100+ points worth of cards they picked up throughout the game. This can make a newbie feel cheated, but they could have seen it coming all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Caylus Magna Carta is what you're looking for. It's compact and quick but also satisfying. I also like Stone Age and Agricola, although those are toward the outside of your time parameters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Erratik wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

They are not swingy, but they are an unexpectedly large part of your score. New players are often shocked when they have the lead by 30 points at the end of the game and then an opponent turns over 100+ points worth of cards they picked up throughout the game. This can make a newbie feel cheated, but they could have seen it coming all game.

I agree with you on this. It's important to let new players know that they need to be buying cards and looking for multipliers. That said, I have seen people play a predominantly building based strategy and win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

I have yet to see the Sphinx cards make a huge swing in points at the end of the game. However, I do take out the card that awards you 1 point for every 10 you have as suggested here. I also take out the Nile card that allows you to take an extra 2 Sphinx cards.

You can always try Egizia on Yucata.de and see what you think. Same with Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellas---2p only, but probably my fave worker placement game

Carcassonne + Carcassonne: The River II---adding The River II makes it AmAzInG; add your fave large expansion, and you have a masterpiece (my fave is Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals; seriously, if you've only played plain old Carcassonne (which is awesome), give an expansion a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.