Subject: Good opening moves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Johnson
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just starting to play the game, and I don't really know of any good starting moves. Any suggestions? Should I move all the way across the board? Stay near the back? Somewhere in the middle? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually try to play the move that limits my opponents movement the most. In many cases this is moving a piece far away from your baseline. If you can manage to block some directions for your opponent, you will probably have an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely sure, to be honest. If you're gonna move your piece all the way to the end, just be sure not to get into an insta-death situation (brown straight to blue, purple left to green, etc).

Moving brown or orange diagonally to the last square seem like a pretty good options, since you're effectively locking your opponent out on those colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party but I'll offer some suggestions. I find the best opening moves are one which leaves you with an unopposable scoring piece. In the first setup I would move to yellow or pink in the penultimate row (c7 and f7).

I avoid the diagonals as it is easy to get a forced colour on the opposite diagonal and it's much easier for your opponent to get into a scoring position with their initial reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Geoff - The only thing I'll add is that I like bringing red or purple to the max - they both are able to escape if chosen again, and open up the middle of my opponent's board (which I find easier to escape through), and move a piece from close to one of my edges (which I find, if left too long, gets trapped in the starting gate)

Green or blue to their second last choice is also good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonough
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying it on board space, I can only come up with bad opening moves. Brown to a7 loses instantly (a1-a7, f8-f6, black is blocked & passes, f6-a1) as does orange to h7 (h1-h7, c8-c6, black is blocked & passes, c6-h1).

D Beau wrote:
Not entirely sure, to be honest. If you're gonna move your piece all the way to the end, just be sure not to get into an insta-death situation (brown straight to blue, purple left to green, etc).

How are these insta-death situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonough
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just found out that moving yellow and pink to the 7th row also loses instantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Skeppstedt
msg tools
http://www.csc.kth.se/utbildning/kth/kurser/DD143X/dkand13/G...

At page 10-11 you find the result of every opening move of the first round, given that the winning player plays optimally. So, basically, the best starting moves are the ones that would result in a win within 17 moves if you are able to play optimally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.