Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Has VPG figured out how they will handle transitioning the back catalogue of games to the new component technology? Sales? Marketing? Sheer whimsey? Is there a plan or schedule? I assume there is effort and thought to pull this off. Presumably, all new releases will get this treatment from the get-go. Indeed, when a game goes with the new production process, will anything else be upgraded in terms of rules?

Just thinking ahead for future purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victory Point Games
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm sure Alan can answer this better than I can, we have to look at each game in our back catalogue separately and figure out what we can "do different" with it when it goes to 2.0. Some are easier than others, of course :). At the moment, we have been attempting to "Gold Bannerize" what sells well, but it's very difficult as all of us here wear multiple hats, so not one person is specifically concentrating on upgrading our back catalogue games.

However, going 2.0 gives each of the designers a chance to change anything they might want changed without affecting the gameplay itself (such as making counters with rounded corners or a bigger size). If a game is as easy as transferring cards (if any) into our new standard size, and slapping the counters into our new laser template without changing -anything-, then it's as good as out the door after the rules booklet is in place.

Everything in each game, even the rules, will be getting a nice tweak for the Gold Banner edition. Believe me, we really want to get to our older games as quick as we can, but it is going to take some time before all of our past games get a second edition.

I hope this answers your question. Thanks!

- Noelle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Noelle's right. We have no schedule to do this, nor no dedicated staff.

Honestly, we're peddling as fast as we can just to make this bicycle go FORWARD!

But this is not a problem that we're unaware of. We're interviewing new helpers who can step up and maybe oversee these conversions. In the meantime, you'll just have to wait for announcements... We'll let you know when WE figure it out!

Sorry.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
I'd support a Kickstarter project for replacement laser-cut Napoleonic 20 counter sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's what I figured. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking over some of the art assets I've done for several of Chris Taylor (I)'s games and plan to revise some stuff to work with new card size and fix some issues.

As an example, Forlorn: Hope's cards need to be resized so I've already revised the card front and back templates. And also did a few enhancements to take advantage of the new printer. The standees need to be revised to have the character names/icons on them since they won't be triangle standees. Basically changing them to what I did for my own personal copy which you can see in the game image page. Still need to get to that. Probably some other stuff will need to be done. Don't know what the schedule is to get these upgrades ready but I'm sure Alan will remind me at some point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cards still being printed on cardstock? Cardstock sucks to shuffle. (this from a guy who likes to make all my solitaire print and play stuff into vassal modules. I hate shuffling cardstock THAT much!!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Gold edition are a fantastic upgrade in quality! I pretty much own all of the VPG already, so the reimplementation of older games doesn't interest me too much since I'm not going to pay to repurchase them.

I must say though, anyone else notice the new counter sheets smell like lox (smoked salmon)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

I must say though, anyone else notice the new counter sheets smell like lox (smoked salmon)?

Lasered salmon surely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
DanKD wrote:

Lasered salmon surely?

No idea, but my wife agreed. Thankfully I love Lox.

However, when I tried eating the counters, they didn't taste very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.