Subject: Sol Offensive when Sol in both areas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Sol Offensive comes up and Sol is in both affected areas, how is his racial advantage used?

Can he move parts/all of both armies to different places?
Move parts/all of both armies to the same place?
Move only part/all of 1 army to a different place?

(Actually, don't remember anymore, is Sol even allowed to leave units in the affected spaces(s)?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, I believe you're required to do left then right. So whichever territory is mentioned first on the influence card.

I think Sol can leave any number of units in the space, but need to check on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Sol units in both territories can move out of the affected areas into 2 different places (without mixing the tokens together)? It's like executing 2 separate movements?

Cause of my confusion is that the Sol racial advantage says "move units to one space", I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

pg 14
Resolving a Sol Offensive Card wrote:
When revealed, players look at the top influence-providing card in the Influence discard pile. All units and
influence in both of the listed spaces are destroyed (resolve them from left to right as listed on the card).

Page 22 wrote:
When a “Sol Offensive” card is resolved in a space containing Sol units (or his ally’s units), the units are not destroyed. The player then has the option of moving any number of units from that space to any other space on the game board (excluding a space that is under bombardment). He may move some of them, all of them, or even none. This movement may be to any space and does not cost any influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"After resolving the card, you may move any of your units from the affected space to any one space on the board."

But there are 2 affected spaces...

And since this is FFG's Rex, there could be something in the rulebook or errata sheet that contradicts the race sheet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook sounds like 2 separate Sol movements.

Race sheet sounds like... after resolving the Sol Offensive card, one affected space to one "any" space, with no consideration for if Sol occupies both affected space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
So Sol units in both territories can move out of the affected areas into 2 different places (without mixing the tokens together)? It's like executing 2 separate movements?

Cause of my confusion is that the Sol racial advantage says "move units to one space", I think.

I don't have the cards in front of me to read what they say, but since the territories are resolved one at a time, I assume the movements are independent of each other. From one location, they have to move to one other location. But then you resolve the second territory that had influence blow into it. It'd be lucky for Sol to be in both locations, but it's possible. I guess this is just a really good benefit of such a rare occurrence.

That said, I wouldn't oppose to somebody sending this question to FFG for confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it has to be 2 separate movements, since what if Sol is in one space and his ally is in the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Race sheet sounds like... after resolving the Sol Offensive card, one affected space to one "any" space, with no consideration for if Sol occupies both affected space.

Yeah. I would assume another oversight on FFG's part. I would assume the two different areas are unique, but I can see the answer going either way. I'll send FFG a rules question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules, in the Sol Offensive section, says to resolve them from "left to right" as listed on the card, I would guess that just means you resolve the Sol Offensive twice, once against each space, in that order. Thus, the Sol ability would trigger for each one.

Otherwise, I can't imagine why the wording would be that way, as destroying the other units and influence from the spaces really has no dependency on which order they are resolved in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I guess it has to be 2 separate movements, since what if Sol is in one space and his ally is in the other.

We've had this happen (and I'd need to reference the ally card here), but I think this one is definitely 2 separate movements. Not to mention, allies can NEVER share the same space (to the extent that 2 players sharing a space for any reason can't be allies), so they HAVE to be separate movements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Otherwise, I can't imagine why the wording would be that way, as destroying the other units and influence from the spaces really has no dependency on which order they are resolved in.

Even for the case of Sol moving from both spaces, order doesn't really matter. It only seems to matter if Sol and their ally are in both spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Even for the case of Sol moving from both spaces, order doesn't really matter. It only seems to matter if Sol and their ally are in both spaces.

True; if nothing else, it just emphasizes the "do one at a time", though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
The equivalent situation in Dune (for those who might care) would be if you were playing with the optional dual spice blow rule and had a worm show up on top of each discard pile with the Fremen in both affected spaces. In that case, it is quite certainly two independent moves, each triggered separately by a different worm card.

Not sure how much weight that may carry for anyone's group in Rex, but I definitely support the idea that Sol gets two moves in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I heard back from FFG and they also have their FAQ out with the answers as well. Both locations move independently of each other. So they can move to the same location or to different locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.