Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Shadow Agent» Forums » News

Subject: Shadow Agent rules V 2.2: a few additions, and more rules explanations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To all of those who asked me if I could provide a rule book (and there are many of you... More than I could expect) I want to say that I am near completion of writing the rule book

It will be v.2, since v.1 was when I first talked about Shadow agent back in February, but the game has change A LOT since.

I would work on it faster, but my wife is about to deliver our second baby girl hour now, and it's a week that keep on going back and forth from the hospital to do monitorings and checkups.

I hope to get the rulebook-writing done by tomorrow evening CET, unless my wife delivers Elena, in which case, the book will be done by Sunday or Monday.

Let me say that it's the first time I write rules for a game of this complexity, and maintaining a slick, clean and fast description of the rules, while being, at the same time, fulfilling and explicative, is the hardest task.

Shadow Agent started as a light game, but turned out to be a game that gives the player many options, many choices, with so many things going on (especially to have the guards act and react as intelligently as possible, yet, maintaining a random action selection for them -the AI is, IMHO, the greatest achievement I accomplished with Shadow Agent) that the rule book became a little harder to write than I thought, at first.

So... Stay tuned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rule book is almost done!!
My recommendation for rules of this complexity is to break things down into really small segments. Use different sections for different parts of the rules, make extensive use of bullet points, that sort of thing. They'll be a lot easier to digest if we can read them in small chunks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nate: that is in fact what i am doing.

Actually, now that I re-read my post, I make Shadow agent sound as heavy as ASL, but, actually, it's quite an easy game, rules-wise.

The game is on the heavy side when it comes to the possibilities the player has (just to make an example: the player, duting the action phase, has an arrey of selecting among 4 different type of actions (standard, free, advanced and specialized) each with 2 to 6 actions.
My difficulty is to describe all these options in the clearest and user-friendly manner as possible.

Taking into account English is not my first language...

And here is where You and the other interested people become importantroof reading the rulebook, blindreading it and understanding it, is just as important as play resting the game.

Mechanically and thematically, the game works (at least to me) but I will have to easily convey the same sound-ness, through the rulebook.

I might even post a video description of how the game works, if I need to.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is here: https://www.box.com/s/13042630ea1cb96b4184

I hope I described the things in a clean, slick and clear way.
I am awaiting your input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rule book is done!!
There's a black guard? Have you mentioned him before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to throw together a simply playmat with the three dice areas (available actions, discard pile, and wounds) and maybe a simple turn tracker. I don't think they're absolutely necessary, but some players will appreciate the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The black Token is for the traitor variant.

I thought about making playmats for the play area (I was thinking about turning the actual character cards into playmats).

I also noticed there are a few copy-paste errOrs.

Thanks for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
The black Token is for the traitor variant.

Oh, then you've got an error in the rules. Under Setup, it says to put the BLUE token in the guard bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rest of the rules look good, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rule book v.2.1: edited typos and errors
Rulebook v. 2.1 is here: https://www.box.com/s/ce80a3529ce554320556
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rule book v.2.2
The rulebook V.2.2 is here: Shadow Agent rules V 2.2

changes made:
-specified equipment timing and use
-added example of guard activation phase with pics
-added the possibility to put 1 die in reserve, and use it during the guard action phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.