Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games has posted a new Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) preview to their website: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3273
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A day early!!! WOOHOO! On to the reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Sasso
Italy
Mondovì
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They changed line of sight tracing.. from center to center (1st Ed) to "corner to corner".

Maybe it's just me, but line of sight is one of the things that i find less confusing about first edition

Lawrence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Merriods! And zombies! More monsters confirmed.

As an occasional Heroclix player I kind of know where they're coming from with the LoS overthinking. I am not sure how well this will fix that. To me it seems like it'll be either another oversimplification of a mechanic, or it will just cause the exact same level of LoS tweaking but just not in the same way as before. I'm continuing to take a wait and see stance on all this.

I really like how Tomble works. I know who I'm playing if I ever get to run the heroes side of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Crudelus wrote:
They changed line of sight tracing.. from center to center (1st Ed) to "corner to corner".

Maybe it's just me, but line of sight is one of the things that i find less confusing about first edition

Lawrence

Without doing all the scenarios, I have a feeling this may resolve those issues where one figure had a LOS to another, but not vice-versa because of the way the "blocking" stuff worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat looks great. I love the new choices they give with your surges since they will be more scarce.

And look there is gold, GOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
And it looks like features that block both movement and LoS are outlined in red, whereas features that only block movement are outlined in green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun stuff. Very interesteing new information.

Shop deck to buy from. There is a 75 marked on the sling, would seem quite high to be using XP. Possibility gold is still available. Am glad this was something that ended up being kept.

Combat was fairly as expected.

Standing up is the only action that can be taken by a stunned hero that turn ends that debate.

2 new monsters in Merriod, so no more guessing about the water monster, and Zombie, with several new abilities.

Enjoyed this preview as it confirmed a few questions and gave a look at quite a bit up new content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:

Shop deck to buy from. There is a 75 marked on the sling, would seem quite high to be using XP. Possibility gold is still available. Am glad this was something that ended up being kept.

Standing up is the only action that can be taken by a stunned knocked out hero that turn ends that debate.

2 new monsters in Merriod, so no more guessing about the water monster, and Zombie, with several new abilities.

Enjoyed this preview as it confirmed a few questions and gave a look at quite a bit up new content.

FTFY

Also, I don't quite understand how another hero reviving you is more efficient than standing yourself up. Unless the other hero is standing right next to you anyway, it will still take two actions for him to move to you and revive you. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wouldn't it be fantastic if they released those die images of all faces of the dice... (just thinking of BGG's die roller)

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rebling
Germany
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Oh wouldn't it be fantastic if they released those die images of all faces of the dice... (just thinking of BGG's die roller)

-shnar

You can see all the faces by clicking on them in the preview. So, if attribute tests are rolled on a gray and a black die, our new friend Tomble is pretty much screwed when he gets poisoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With each passing preview I get more excited. I can't wait for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Also, I don't quite understand how another hero reviving you is more efficient than standing yourself up. Unless the other hero is standing right next to you anyway, it will still take two actions for him to move to you and revive you. Thoughts?

when you revive you are still weak,so if you have been revived by someone else,you can move during your turn for example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David West
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

Hmm. The revived hero can only stand up if they aren't revived, losing all other actions. And since you're apparently getting a random number of HP back when you're revived it might be quite easy for the Overlord to just knock a hero right back down again unless he has a healthier buddy help him up first. Besides that, I'm not sure. It does seem more viable to just guard the fallen hero while they're getting up than to give up your move to revive them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Because the Hero you revived gets a full turn, instead of just reviving. If you think of a 4 hero game, that's 8 base actions on the Hero turn. If you revive yourself you drop that to 6 (because the knocked out hero doesn't get a turn at all, he just stands up, adding nothing of value).

If you get revived by another hero, it's still 8 (even if one is used to revive you). There are probably Fatigue abilities that grant extra actions/movements, so it's a net positive gain, even if it's small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorns are Real wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

You can see all the faces by clicking on them in the preview. So, if attribute tests are rolled on a gray and a black die, our new friend Tomble is pretty much screwed when he gets poisoned.

Presumably this is where the healers come into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, so the Red AND the Yellow are considered "Power" dice. So it looks like the mechanic of boosting attacks by spending fatigue to add power dice has been removed. Fatigue is used then for...? The Skills I guess? I wonder if you can even use it for extra movement anymore?

Line of Sight is interesting. I personally think it's made it more complex than less, since it provides more ways for a player to try to figure out if they have LOS to the target "corner". They state that playtesting went faster, but I wonder how this will work with my group.

Heh, I love this, "Unless a knocked out hero is revived by an adjacent ally, he can perform only one action on his turn, and that is to stand back up (to be clear, this constitutes a knocked out hero's entire turn)." It looks like the editors have been following our threads

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:

Standing up is the only action that can be taken by a stunned knocked out hero that turn ends that debate.

FTFY

The article also mentioned using fatigue for movement. A hero can fatigue to you, revive you and still have an action to attack with or move with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Because the Hero you revived gets a full turn, instead of just reviving. If you think of a 4 hero game, that's 8 base actions on the Hero turn. If you revive yourself you drop that to 6 (because the knocked out hero doesn't get a turn at all, he just stands up, adding nothing of value).

If you get revived by another hero, it's still 8 (even if one is used to revive you). There are probably Fatigue abilities that grant extra actions/movements, so it's a net positive gain, even if it's small.

But like I said, if another hero revives you, he has (in most cases) used two actions to achieve that (move and revive), so the net gain is... nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

But like I said, if another hero revives you, he has (in most cases) used two actions to achieve that (move and revive), so the net gain is... nothing.

the gain is that the revived player can use two actions during his turn.

Again,a revived hero can be weak.(he's not full health).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
btizo wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Depends on which hero is being revived; he may be better served to handle the current situation than the other (which may explain why he was KO'd in the first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:

FTFY

The article also mentioned using fatigue for movement. A hero can fatigue to you, revive you and still have an action to attack with or move with.

Possibly... possibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The Skills I guess? I wonder if you can even use it for extra movement anymore?
-shnar

The immobilized card says that a player cannot spend fatigue for movement points anymore. So this means you can use fatigue for extra movement points if not immobilized

Another nice preview, lots of new stuff to look at. Would be nice to see a healer hero though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Possibly... possibly.

Also seem to be lots of ways for some classes to move around quickly, the knight had a kind of teleport to a friendly player?

Still seems better to revive someone in most cases, especially if that player does more damage than the person reviving them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
shnar wrote:
The Skills I guess? I wonder if you can even use it for extra movement anymore?
-shnar

The immobilized card says that a player cannot spend fatigue for movement points anymore. So this means you can use fatigue for extra movement points if not immobilized

Not necessarily. It may be referring to movement points from fatigue via skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.