Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Strand
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
Best rule? The golden rule. Unless your playing survive escape from atlantis :)
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been a member of BGG since 2007. At the time I found this website I had just started back at school taking classes to get into Physician Assistant school. Well long story short 5 years later I am graduating from PA school next week and I need the communities help. I have amassed a lot of games during the last 5 years and I have saved up $200 to buy myself a few more as a graduation gift I was wondering if I could get some help as to which ones I should buy. I was hoping some of you could look at my collection and maybe make some suggestions of what you would buy if you had $200 to add to the collection. I really like all games and like to have games from all different themes. A few games I was thinking of adding are:

K2
Formula D
Merchants & Marauders
Arkham horror
Cyclades
Bohnanza
Commands & Colors Ancients

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks in advanced for helping me with this very important decision. My wife says I have to take a game buying break after this, so I want to make sure I get the most games and the best games I can to round out my collection. Thanks again and long live the geek!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players are you looking for games for? Do you prefer co-ops or competitive?

Flash Point: Fire Rescue is a good co-op game
Eruption is a fun competitive game
Rattus is an interesting competitive game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two latest additions were Ra and Tigris & Euphrates and I am very happy with them. I see you have them though.

Some of the newer titles that I like are;

Macao four player euro
Lords of Waterdeep five player, worker placement
Dungeon Petz four player, worker placement
Shadows over Camelot eight player (I think) co-op
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game many player, co-op & competitive

also

Tikal but it is not really new

and I would have added Urban Sprawl, but you have it already.

Edit: I just tried In the Year of the Dragon last night, Wow, what a cool game....surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders is great!!! It's like a bg version of Sid Meier's Pirates.

I also second Lords of Waterdeep.

Judging from the games you like - I think you might really like Rune Wars too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Strand
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey George thanks for the suggestions laughI have really been interested in Shadows over Camelot but have seen mixed reviews. I really do like co-op games (there the only ones my wife will play ) but it is pretty pricey so did not know for sure. Does it have good replay value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is one of the most fun games I've played with a large group. Not so great if you've only got a couple of people though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a big K2 fan myself, but if you get that I would also get the broad peak expansion, since the broad peak map is more interesting than the k2 map, due to more variety in routes and scoring posibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Strand
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice everybody!!! I really appreciate the suggestions Ordering on Monday so I have the weekend to research and get more help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the best advice is not WHICH games to buy, but how & when to buy.
Buy ONE game. don't buy another game until you've played the first one. That way, your purchases will be spread out and each new game can be influenced by the games you've played and the gamers you've played them with. Less regrets that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
Buy ONE game. don't buy another game until you've played the first one. That way, your purchases will be spread out and each new game can be influenced by the games you've played and the gamers you've played them with. Less regrets that way.

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
All the games you are considering are good...

1 Arkham Horror
2 Commands & Colors Ancients
3 Merchants & Marauders
4 Bohnanza
5 Cyclades

Those would be my top five from that list and you probably won't have much left from your $200 at that point.

Formula D would be my next pick but those 5 above are all very solid games and area ll very different from each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H4msterbacke wrote:
Sam Houston wrote:

This

This x 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For co-op games with people who perhaps aren't the biggest fans of games/playing competitively against each other I find Forbidden Island is the best.

Otherwise, my current no. 1 fav game has to be 7 Wonders.

Of the ones you mentioned, I own Bohnanza which is a giggle, and have played Arkham Horror which is pointless to buy unless you have LOTS of time (and a little patience) to spend on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would stick clear of AH and Form D on the basis that both can become money sinks when their interest value wanes. They're both okay games but AH may leave you feeling disappointed quickly when it becomes too easily winnable and you feel like an expansion to up the challenge. FD comes with two tracks and they will become repetitive. To echo an earlier poster, with few players the excitement of racing is lost.

However, if you've played them and love them you know you better than we do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.