10 Posts

For the People» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confederate river crossing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Royce

California
msg tools
Rule 6.2 says "Entering a space along a connection that crosses a blue color bar is known as crossing a river."

6.25 says: "The confederate player may cross . . . at a location that is denied union naval control and does not contain a Union fort."

Is the location of the color bar significant. E.g., with a Confederate fort in Louisville, KY, (to deny Union naval control) can he move into a fortless Bloomington? He is crossing the river, but it is in Louisville, not B'ton. What if there IS a Union fort in Bloomington? Is he crossing the river into a fort (which is prohibited)? Similar problem with Paducah/Cairo, St.Louis/Salem, et al.

wr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean dolbee
United States
Grass Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Confererates to cross a river they would need to use a fort or Ironclad at the space unless they have forts or Ironclads at any spaces up and down stream of the crossing for instance if the Confederates have a fort at Columbus KY and a fort at New Orleans they can cross the river at any space in between.

No forces can cross a blue bar into a fort

Example
With a Confederaste fort in Louisville the Union could not cross into Louisville.
Louisville has a blue bar.

The Confederates could cross into Bloomington even though there is a fort in Bloomington.
Bloomington does not have a blue bar Louisville does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean dolbee
United States
Grass Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paducah is a little different,again the Confederates would need forts/Ironclads up and down stream of Paducah (Louisville,St Louis,Columbus for example) or a fort/Iron at Paducah to cross the Union does not need forts to cross.If both had forts the Union at Cairo and the Confederates at Paducah both could cross because if you look close the routes out of and into both spaces don't cross a blue bar.

Paducah into Cairo the Northern route
Cairo to Paducah the Southern route.

Hope the helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the illustration, Sean! After viewing these examples, it makes me wish that that there was a color-illustrated set of pictures to the current rules of the game available somewhere. That would really improve my understanding of what appears to be a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean dolbee
United States
Grass Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your welcome glad I could be of help.
The game is a blast to play so stick with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dolbee123 wrote:
Paducah is a little different,again the Confederates would need forts/Ironclads up and down stream of Paducah (Louisville,St Louis,Columbus for example) or a fort/Iron at Paducah to cross the Union does not need forts to cross.If both had forts the Union at Cairo and the Confederates at Paducah both could cross because if you look close the routes out of and into both spaces don't cross a blue bar.

Hope the helps

I'm still trying to get my head around the river rules.

In the above picture, if Paducah had a blue bar for the southern route as well, was Rebel controlled, and contained a fort, then the Union couldn't enter from Cairo, correct?

There is also a river connection here, so if the Union couldn't do a land attack from Cairo, could they do an amphib attack from there instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This seems like a simple question for anyone more versed in the game to answer. Doesn't anyone still read this forum?

My first game is in 3 days and I'm trying to get ready, as I'll be teaching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubercat wrote:
dolbee123 wrote:

Hope the helps

I'm still trying to get my head around the river rules.

In the above picture, if Paducah had a blue bar for the southern route as well, was Rebel controlled, and contained a fort, then the Union couldn't enter from Cairo, correct?

There is also a river connection here, so if the Union couldn't do a land attack from Cairo, could they do an amphib attack from there instead?

Yes - IF Paducah had only blue bars on the Paducah space and if it had a CSA fort on it, then the Union could only do an amphibious attack.

But it doesn't, so the USA will always be able to make a land-ward attack from Cairo across to Paducah using the Southern Route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

There's a PDF in this game's Files section (it's currently on page 3 of the Files) called "Forts and River Crossings" that lists each river crossing and whether a fort prevents crossing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.