Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My opponent (the Austrians) thinks it crosses the southern locale approach. To me it seems to cross neither locale approach. It's a fairly significant difference, in terms of attack threats available to me. It's certainly in my interest if the ruling is that it crosses the southern locale approach, but I wouldn't want to gain an advantage if that's not so. Does anyone know? Has this been asked before?

EDITED to replace "locale" with "approach" (so the post actually makes sense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan K.
Germany
Uffing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use common sense and look at the map
Of course does it cross (why should the soldiers got stuck ?).
You can roadmove from 144 to 136 to 143 (Aujezd) !

At least in my humble opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stanfink wrote:
You can roadmove from 144 to 136 to 143 (Aujezd) !

That's the route I see. Kienmayer could move on the other leg of the road to Reichmannsdorf (150), but that wouldn't lead him to 136 (where the French cavalry is positioned). 150 and 136 can't conceivably be directly linked, by road or otherwise, because they share no common approach..

The approaches should resolve any such argument. If there's no common approach between two given locales, there can't be a direct road move between them. Ergo, moving 143-150-136 (if that's what he's suggesting) is impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-reading the original post, I think I may have misunderstood the question. The logic beyond my answer applies either way, though. There are two separate roads segments leading from 143 to 136. There is one approach between them, so in game terms, both roads must cross that approach.

The approach markings are a standard size, imposed to regularize the terrain for game purposes. The terrain itself is taken from actual maps, not tweaked to fit the approach markings. If you follow the logic behind how the movement rules work, apparent ambiguities like this one are resolved easily.

I'm still not clear on what you mean about attack threats available to you. The allied unit in the approach blocks both roads, since both roads are assumed to cross the 143/136 approach. Does that answer your question, or am I still just floundering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan K.
Germany
Uffing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
143 (Aujezd) - 136 you meant, right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stanfink wrote:

Right, thank you. I've corrected the text, and just uploaded an image from the numbered map to avoid further confusion:

Hmmm, the image doesn't seem to be displaying correctly for some reason. I've never seen that happen before; the image shows in my gallery and I've pasted the ID number in from the url.
Figured it out. I was tagging it 'medium', and I had only uploaded a small jpg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
stanfink wrote:

Right, thank you. I've corrected the text, and just uploaded an image from the numbered map to avoid further confusion:

Hmmm, the image doesn't seem to be displaying correctly for some reason. I've never seen that happen before; the image shows in my gallery and I've pasted the ID number in from the url.
Figured it out. I was tagging it 'medium', and I had only uploaded a small jpg.

OK, so the road crosses the 136-143 approach. That's what I thought. If the road was considered to cross the 150-143 approach (what the Austrian player initially proposed), then my cavalry unit, which has already pinned a unit to the 136-143 approach, could on its next turn feint at the 143-150 approach, pulling another unit out of the defending corps. It would also allow them to cross the swamp and be in position to consider feinting at the town right away. So it seems to me in my best interest if the road crosses the other approach, but that didn't seem logical to me.

My original post should have replaced the words "locale" with "approach," I think that is probably what was confusing.

Thanks as always for the quick replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
OK, so the road crosses the 136-143 approach. That's what I thought. If the road was considered to cross the 150-143 approach (what the Austrian player initially proposed), then my cavalry unit, which has already pinned a unit to the 136-143 approach, could on its next turn feint at the 143-150 approach, pulling another unit out of the defending corps.

So the suggestion was that you could feint at the 143/150 approach with a unit that never occupied either 143 or 150. Either that or he thought you'd end up in 150 after the feint, but that would mean you had crossed an approach that doesn't exist. I think if you put it to him that way, he'll see that it won't fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
fatgreta wrote:
OK, so the road crosses the 136-143 approach. That's what I thought. If the road was considered to cross the 150-143 approach (what the Austrian player initially proposed), then my cavalry unit, which has already pinned a unit to the 136-143 approach, could on its next turn feint at the 143-150 approach, pulling another unit out of the defending corps.

So the suggestion was that you could feint at the 143/150 approach with a unit that never occupied either 143 or 150. Either that or he thought you'd end up in 150 after the feint, but that would mean you had crossed an approach that doesn't exist. I think if you put it to him that way, he'll see that it won't fly.

yes, exactly. I probably asked him a fairly imprecise question as well, and I asked it before that cavalry unit was nearby. This guy just regularly whips me, and we're playing the long game for some variety. I'd love to actually win one, but I wouldn't want to use the equivalent of performing enhancing drugs to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.