Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state "In addition, if a rift moves along an arrow of the same color as its dimensional symbol, a doom token is added to the Ancient One's doom track.'

Okay, my game started with a Mythos Card opening a rift right off the bat. The Rift is a white circle. The Mythos Card moved circles along black arrows. But in this case, the black and white arrows both pointed to the same street from Unvisited Isle.

So technically the rift is moving along an arrow of the same color as its symbol, even though the card called for black circles.

Question: do I add a doom counter?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be right- I always thought it meant you only add a Doom token if the movement symbol on the Mythos card is the right color (in this case white) ie if the Rift is instructed to move along that color arrow.

You may be onto a good variant here- since most locations have black and white arrows pointing out towards the street, EVERY Rift will add one Doom Token the first time it moves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob--I don't WANT to be right! Tell me I'm wrong! What a bad way to start a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Bob--I don't WANT to be right! Tell me I'm wrong! What a bad way to start a game.

You're not right
The black/white arrow is considered to be a black and a white arrow in the rules, and you are only moving along one or the other, regardless of the other one pointing the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndyMax is correct. What matters is what color the circle appears in on the Mythos card. The black and white arrows are separate arrows that just lead to the same place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thanks, gents. You probably just saved the world from Yog-Sothoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Rimbey
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, doesn't it take *4* rift markers to open a rift? That's a little hard to do from the first mythos card of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudoevil wrote:
Ummm, doesn't it take *4* rift markers to open a rift? That's a little hard to do from the first mythos card of the game.

Hazy recollection that one of the KH Mythos cards pops open a Rift with its text. However, the text happens as step 4 in resolving a Mythos card, so it wouldn't move that turn, movement being step 3 (barring some specific wording).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Mythos Card opens a rift immediately and directs the player to fill up the four counters in Kingsport.

But your point about movement is excellent. I hadn't thought about that, and it seems to me that you're right if we follow the sequence of play accurately.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudoevil wrote:

Unusual Phenomenon Sighted in Arkahm!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of the dimensional symbols used in the movement pattern as planetary alignments of sorts. Only if the correct symbol in the correct colored box shows up, then the effect is triggered.

On a related note, whenever you get a Mythos card with all dimensional symbols showing, no rift progress markers are placed on the rift tracks, because the placement requires a particular pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.