Popular Tags: [View All]
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
For MGK, who argued that this was all planned.

Quote:
Vice President Joe Biden apologized to President Barack Obama Wednesday in the Oval Office for jumping the gun on the administration's public embrace of same-sex marriage and forcing his boss's hand, a person knowledgeable on the contrite exchange told Yahoo News on Thursday.

"The vice president expressed remorse, regret," said the individual, who requested anonymity to describe an unusual, private exchange between the buttoned-up Obama and his freewheeling vice president. The president told Biden, the individual said, that he understood Biden's comments on Sunday had come "from the heart."

The source described Obama's response as very similar to his public comments in an interview with ABC News's Robin Roberts, with whom he shared his history-making announcement that he backed the right of gay couples to marry.

"He probably got out a little over his skis, but out of generosity of spirit," Obama told ABC. "Would I have preferred to have done this in my own way on my own terms without, I think, there being a lot of notice to everybody? Of course. But all's well that ends well."

-"Biden apologizes to Obama over shotgun comments on gay marriage", The Ticket, Yahoo News, http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/biden-apologizes-obama-ov...

Ha!!!

'Trial Balloon' my eye.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
So essentially:

"Obama said it! I believe it! That settles it!"

Dar, this doesn't really prove anything, but it does suggest that this particular bit of political theater has definitely moved into farce.

I'm not sure why Biden's commments would have forced Obama's hand at all. That argument never really made much sense to me.

(HERE is the quintessential piece on Biden. Laughed my ass off. Literally, not figuratively. How this man ever got elected is beyond my understanding.)

The reason it forced Obama to 'shit or get off the pot' was that, as that Idiot Dana Milbanks argued, Obama's Press Secretary wasn't able to put the issue to rest with the Washington Press Corps, and there was a slow daily hemmoraging in the daily news cycle as different members of the Obama administration were asked their views on Gay Marriage.

Obama not only lost control of the message, he was having problems keeping control of his STAFF.

Which is way more destructive than MGK's argument of a 'Trial Balloon'.

In the end, however, you're right. This is just a farce. The key thing that all of this has done is to hammer home that what I've read of Obama's decision making 'practices' in the lead up to the Afghan War wasn't an isolated instance. When the stakes are big, he waffles. When the stakes are small, he waffles.

This realization disturbs me more than anything else.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Obama waffled more, not less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but loose cannons can at least be entertaining.

I mean, Stewart, Colbert, etc were just HILARIOUS shows when GW Bush was in office, as he was something like a faux pas-machine.

Compared to Obama's dry, calculated-feeling, analyzed, measured and detached response to ANYTHING, we'd be seriously left out on the curb for laughs without Biden as the sidekick. Abbott and Costello, man...gotta have the straight man with the funny man...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
HERE is the quintessential piece on Biden.

That article convinced me that we need a vice-president who knows what 'literal' means. Quozl for Vice-President!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Laughed my ass off. Literally, not figuratively.

How did that work out for you ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
MGK was right

SOMEBODY GET ME A PICTURE FRAME

Quote:
See the story on how Romney is a bully gay-basher for more coordination proof.

See, the Romney-bully story is your standard political bullshit, like the dog story, but what's remarkable about it is how badly Romney handled it. I mean, it's pretty basic: you just say "we all do shitty things when we're kids, and then we grow up," and you apologize to the person who did it. (In this case, a photo op with that person wasn't available since he's since passed on for non-Romney-related reasons, but you still apologize.)

But Romney totally pooched this. First he says "well, I have no memory of that," which - what total fucking crap, because everybody knows you might forget who your history teacher was, but you don't forget those adrenalin-rush moments when you do the things you, a teenager, are not supposed to do (or have done to you).

And then he compounds it with a non-apology apology:

Quote:
Back in high school I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended by that I apologize.

Nobody ever likes getting an apology like this because it's passive. A proper apology is "I did this and hurt you, and I'm sorry for that." Not this weak-sauce "well, if YOU were in some strange way hurt by something I just happened to do, like ripples from a pond or something, well I sure didn't want that to happen." It's the sort of apology where the prospective apologizer is still trying to duck out from taking responsibility. Romney's answer was the sort of weasel-answer that keeps a story like this alive because nobody likes hearing that. The dude just does not have the personal touch.

I'm not saying this makes him a bad person in any way: I don't think Mitt Romney was all "how DARE they make me apologize for beating up some kid when I was fifteen" in the slightest. But... yeeesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
'Trial Balloon' my eye.

Yes, because there's certainly no political value to Obama in appearing reluctant to discuss the issue, considering a large part of his minority base would likely prefer that it not be raised oh wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romney's campaign is taking a new strategic approach, trying to link the candidate to Teddy Roosevelt and rolling out a new slogan: "Mitt: Bully for America!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Romney's campaign is taking a new strategic approach, trying to link the candidate to Teddy Roosevelt and rolling out a new slogan: "Mitt: Bully for America!"

That words for Obama, too. Now that we know he shoves little girls.

Hooray for false equivalence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

(HERE is the quintessential piece on Biden. Laughed my ass off. Literally, not figuratively. How this man ever got elected is beyond my understanding.)

I got through 3/4 of this before giving up. Dude's a terrible writer, and managed to make an article about Joe Biden NOT funny. Maybe it was the hamfisted attempts at shoehorning in every possible anti-Obama talking point along the way. And most of his stuff on Biden was rather elitist and petty...oh, no! He misconstrued a quote by Virgil! The Horror! Give me more "telling wheelchair guy to stand up" and less "he misuses the term 'literally'".

It was like a cleaned-up, de-humorized Tripp rant, in short.

(disclaimer: I'm no Biden fan...I'm kinda with bin Laden on this one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
mightygodking wrote:
Darilian wrote:
'Trial Balloon' my eye.

Yes, because there's certainly no political value to Obama in appearing reluctant to discuss the issue, considering a large part of his minority base would likely prefer that it not be raised oh wait

Never give credit to conspiracy what can be MUCH better explained as just rampant incompetence.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Darilian wrote:
'Trial Balloon' my eye.

Never give credit to conspiracy what can be MUCH better explained as just rampant incompetence.

Darilian

You've got a real hard-on for the President these days, Dar. What's your deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really want him to answer that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Delaware. Our village idiot is now the country's village idiot.

You're welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biden's a gaffe-prone buffoon, but he's a gaffe-prone buffoon whose heart is in the right place, and that's more than you can say for most of 'em.

I mean, he commuted to DC via Amtrak for decades so he could come back home to his state and his kids each night. How is that not worthy of mad respect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.