Subject: Sleeving options? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking at sleeving my cards but the fantasy flight sleeves are NZ$4/pack here in New Zealand... so including Miskatonic I'm looking at about NZ$200. Does anyone have any suggestions for good (cheaper) alternatives? I realise FF deliberately make their cards in odd sizes so you have to use their sleeves, but are there any good options which are close enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Dunn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Mayday Sleeves for the base game and they work perfectly. I don't know how much they cost in New Zealand or if they'd ship there but I think they are cheaper.

Mayday sleeves :http://maydaygames.com/sleeves.pdf
Sizing Chart with gamess list:http://maydaygames.com/sleeves.pdf

If they don't ship to you you can also just use the sizing chart to know he sizes of the cards. That might help you find a more suitable alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Watpantsnaw wrote:
I used Mayday Sleeves for the base game and they work perfectly. I don't know how much they cost in New Zealand or if they'd ship there but I think they are cheaper.

Mayday sleeves :http://maydaygames.com/sleeves.pdf
Sizing Chart with gamess list:http://maydaygames.com/sleeves.pdf

If they don't ship to you you can also just use the sizing chart to know he sizes of the cards. That might help you find a more suitable alternative.

Thanks for that
Unfortunately, due to living in a country that is thousands of miles from, well, anywhere else (and Mayday having limited international shipping options) it's actually cheaper for me to get the FFG sleeves. Hmm. Might have to see if there are any stores locally that stock the Mayday sleeves.

Edit: Oops, just realised that the Mayday sleeves are packs of 100 instead of packs of 50- so it is about NZ$120 rather than NZ$200 blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Hanks
United States
Kingman
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that the Mayday sleeves, being a good value as well as sleeve, fit loose. While the FFG sleeves are tight and snug. So it depends on what style of sleeve your wanting. I use both. If I'm going to be shuffling a lot I use FFG, because they shuffle best. A game like arkham I would choose Mayday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do it. It's not like you're shuffling a deck of cards every five minutes. After MANY plays of AH, it's the board which has had the most wear -- I mean, you unfold it an unfold it after every game. Get some linen tape to reinforce the binding. I think after board wear and tear, the next problem is making sure you don't lose any of those darn bits.

That stack of sleeved cards will get TALL. I remember a game where the owners played with EVERY Unique Item card. That stack must have been just under a *foot* tall. I know you can buy Blackjack card holders to make sure the sleeved regular sized cards don't spill, but dunno about the small cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your situation I'd consider just buying a whole new set of game and expansions and leaving them with a fellow player. Unless you play mostly at home or don't have a regular group where you play at different locations, it would not only save you from lugging it all around but reduce wear and tear overall, plus give you backup components and extra stuff to do variants.

While I generally think sleeving is a good idea, the large stacks that result in AH mean you'll need additional organizing stuff. It'd probably be less expensive in the long run just to have other copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could do prioritized sleeving. Start with the location encounters as they get shuffled every time someone draws one (if you play by the rules).

The rest of the cards usually only get shuffled once at the start of the game and occasionally once more during the game. Additionally, in AH most cards are left on the table and not handled much as it is all open information once the cards are drawn.

That being said, I have sleeved everything myself. But then again, the Mayday sleeves were fairly easy to come by here.

By the way, given your geographical location maybe Swan Panasia sleeves could be a viable alternative: http://www.boardgamer.org/index.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did Mayday sleeves on all of Arkham Horror and had the typical problem with them that some of the packs were fine but others would have about 3 different sized sleeved in them. Plus, you would have sleeves with dimples and other marks. Even with those problems I still felt that for the price they were a good value.

However, it didn't take many games before the location cards sleeves started getting worn. It is not a big deal to just replace them as needed and this still turned out to be the cheaper solution.

Anymore I wish I just didn't sleeve. I have had to buy blackjack discard holders, deal with the increased storage footprint of all those cards, all to keep cards looking nice while everything else in the game gets worn out. Tossing all those monsters in bag wears them down, some of my gate tokens have small nicks on the side, the board has taken some abuse, and so on.

At some point soon I am probably going to remove all my AH sleeves as I just find the game too annoying to play with all those sleeves. Anymore I am just sticking with using premium sleeves for card games or games I feel the need to proxy cards.

In retrospect, I just wish i bought an iPad, got the AH took kit and left most of the cards in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with gert74 on this one, I personally take the approach of Sam and Max in that I don't sleeve at all, but if were going to sleeve I'd only do the cards that actually get handled; the Location cards. In your situation I'd do those first 'cos you'd get the biggest protective bang for your buck, then I'd think about the others after having worked with those sleeved for a while.

Of course, if you're a totally anal card sleever with an obsessive compulsive need to sleeve everything including the GOO sheets then all bets are off (good luck finding a sleeve for the board)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You know, it only just occurred to me that I can get another copy of the game and a couple of the expansions for the cost of sleeving the cards. Doh.

Unsleeved it is then, and damn the consequences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.