Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Any Heroscape fans who have also played Dust want to comment on how this game compares to Heroscape?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Heroscape for almost five years. Still my all-time favorite game. I got into Dust Tactics last fall, and though I still ultimately prefer Heroscape, I've come to really appreciate Dust Tactics.

They have a lot in common--simple rules but with enough depth to create a rich playing experience. Dust Tactics takes a little bit of an adjustment if you're used to Heroscape, but it's worth it. There's a little more of a chess-like element to it, in terms of planning and movement, and it can be brutally fast and vicious once the lead starts flying. I've felt a little more tension in DT's gameplay than in Heroscape's. Every move feels high stakes, more so than in Heroscape, but that's a quality I like. Both games can have twists and turns, last minute momentum swings.

I miss the 3D terrain, but the minis are much higher quality in terms of detail and intricacy. A lot of depends on how much you like the genre, of course. Weird War II, essentially. There's a nice variety of units, considering it's confined to one genre.

The painting aspect probably is a hurdle for a lot of Heroscape players. I've actually come to enjoy the painting--I find it oddly relaxing--but it is a considerable time commitment.

Overall, I think they compliment each other well. I've had a lot of fun playing DT. If you're a fan of Heroscape and don't mind painting--or have the dough to spring for painted sets--then I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also give Heroscape the edge.
Dust has a more grown up, tactical feel to it, whereas Heroscape can also be played that way I find it actually get's played in a much more fun flamboyant way, where personal safety just goes right out the window.

Also I expect someone must be thinking of making some unit cards for Dust figures in Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've actually come to enjoy the painting--I find it oddly relaxing--but it is a considerable time commitment.

Amen.
I wasn't a painter growing up. But I found that painting relaxed me after a long day of studying in grad school.
It also gave me my "gaming" fix for an hour or so before bed when I had no real time to game.
Dust figures are nice in that you can do a fairly easy paint job, and they look pretty good. No overly detailed areas to stress over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Heroscape, and I've come to love Dust Tactics as well. When explaining the complexity/tactics of Dust, I like to think of it as firmly in the middle ground between Heroscape and Warmachine. I'm just now reading through the new Dust Warfare tabletop rules, which I think will click the complexity up a notch who want a little more meat to their games. Overall I highly recommend fwiw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.