Subject: Simple suggested variant for Vehicle and AT gun facing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kknow this may have been done to death, but i would like to propose a simple system to house rule more advanced rules for tanks and AT guns, which simply involve facing and also bonuses for attacking from the flanks/rear...

For facing, it is easy to adopt the facing system used in Conflict of heroes. In CoH, the arc within the front 3 hexes are considered it's front armor (which is resolved using the ToI rules as written), while shots outside this arc can be said to be fired versus its flanks. These are resolved using the M10's "penetration" rule (ie. -1AV for regular armor , and for tanks with thick armor, you keep the AV but negate 1 die for the thick armor rule). For the M10, this stacks, so that means they get to deduct 1 AV in flanking shots versus panthers and tigers, while for the king tiger no thick armor rule is applied). The implication of this is that during movement tanks must be more careful, as it must first face a hexside before it enters it, thus this could potentially expose it to flank shots.

Another rule is to establish an arc of fire. Again, we can use the first 3 hexes in front to establish hexes within this fire arc. Turreted units (tanks) can fire outside their arc, but at -1 to their firepower dice. SPG and AT guns cannot fire outside their arc, but I would also allow them to get a Fire and move action in order to PIVOT in place and then fire, with the usual FM penalties (ie half FP dice, no long range fire, so supporting fire).

I believe my suggestion is simple enough as it basically uses existing ToI rules, yet has enough gaming implications to reward flanking tactics against vehicles and AT guns. It also does not break the overall "feel" of the game, which could happen if you add much more detailed rule which could slow the game further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the two peg requirement, Machine Gun squads (with a single or dual MG figure) clearly "face" a certain direction when placed on a hex. You could extend your facing rules further to suggest that BEFORE an MG unit goes into OP fire mode (even before the token is placed, and well before the unit attacks), the acting player must decide which "edge" of the occupied hex it will "face". Whichever hex edge the unit faces during opportunity fire can then dictate the firing arc. Simply apply the "3 hex cone of fire" (as suggested above), and apply it to MG emplacements as well.

It makes sense, as a machine gun crew would have to deploy first before engaging the enemy, so a 360 degree arc of fire is unreasonable. Mortar crews, infantry, elites, officers, and specialized units could reasonably react on short notice to enemy units around them, but I think MG crews could benefit from limited firing arcs. Each time you're eligible to place that unit into OP fire mode, give the player the choice to change which "side/edge" of the hex they would like to face until the next eligable OP fire re-check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention the 2 peg units, but facing is even more obvious than that. There is a clear frontal direction to all the squad bases. The hook for holding special tokens is the rear. Simple. So there is already a built in means to use facing on squads as well, if you wish to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.