Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Xiong
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I've been lurking the forums for these three games for a while now. I love all the user created variants, monsters, and heroes for these games. I've downloaded and printed out several of them. I want to give back to this commumity so here is a campaign map I created combining all three of the games, as well as a few locations from my past boardgame and D&D games. Let me know what you think. I hope you all like it.

I have a higher resolution image of the map that I plan to print onto a 2x3 foot poster sheet. The hexes will be 1 inch in size so you can move your minis across it. The north eastern area is Ravenloft territory, the southern area is Ahsardalon territory, and the middle to north western area is Drizzt territory.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use this forum. If any of you can help me out I can upload the PDF of the map for you all to printout and use for yourselves.

The map is inspired by The Barbarian Prince. I don't have any specific way to use the map, but I will probaly borrow some rules from that game. I'd like to hear how you all use the map though, and maybe we can come up with some rules for movement and exploration.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Peace,
EcksMan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting idea. Thanks for posting. NinjaDorg got around this problem with the campaign event deck. The idea is that after each adventure every hero gets to draw a card to reflect what happens outside of the dungeon.

You might find some inspiration from Descent's "Road To Legend" expansion. They have overland mini-encounters as players move around the game board encountering dungeons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick and dirty implementation you can use to try out your idea and see if you like it.

1.) Take the terrain dice from Fantasy Flight Games "Runebound" game. Roll the 5 dice and check the symbols to see what terrain spaces you can enter. There are symbols on the dice for roads, mountains, forests, swamps, rivers, and hills.
2.) Move towards the objective.
3.) After you're done moving draw one of NinjaDorg's Campaign Event cards.

Invariably you'll find yourself drawn to the Warhammer Quest "inbetween adventures" tables. Use those for inspiration when creating your own overland events. You might want to create your own "overland event" cards to work with the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie Sanchez
United States
Surfside
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ed,

You can actually merge your idea with the event deck. Instead of making movement hexbased, make it location based. In order to travel you have to pass certain areas that have a pertaining deck.

For example, a village is 2 spaces away from the main city in the path. It includes water and hill space. The party would draw from a "water" deck and then from the "hill" deck to get to the village.

This would cut down on micromanaging the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Xiong
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of making movement location based. I may whip up some test tables just to see what it's like. However, at the moment, I'm working on another project (a modular 3D dungeon), so I may not have an update on its progress for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent suggesting Reggie! That's given me an idea too. Not all encounters have to be with monsters or foes. The environment can pose challenges too. Perhaps the party needs certain gear in order to overcome the environmental challenge or get a better result. The classic Oregon Trail computer game, or historical accounts of the Trail, might give you some ideas in that direction. The first edition D&D books "Wilderness Survival Guide" and "Dungeoneer's Survival Guide" might give you some ideas for environmental challenges.

Travel gear is an interesting way to get players to spend money on things besides treasure in the campaign. Potential equipment could include: rope, tinder, oil, horsehoes, rations, bow & arrows, tent, water skins, bandages, empty bags, pots & pans, musical instrument, mirror, whistle. You could design challenges that use these items. Some items could have a limited use and the party has to stock up on more when they visit towns.

You'll probably want to have a variety of no-effect type cards in your decks so things don't get silly:

"How was your trip?"
"Oh I fought off bandits, saved a princess, nearly froze to death, got kidnapped by slavers, escaped, and almost died of thirst. And that was the first 7 spaces!"

Before you grind out a bunch of cards with text a simple "nothing happens" card works for play testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Xiong
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a higher resolution PDF version of the map onto the files page. Here is the link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81949/my-campaign-map-to-d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.