The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Crazy cycle(s) while Journeying along the Anduin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harris
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I got into a hilarious cycle just now in a game. During phase 1, I got Banks of the Anduin ("Forced: If Banks of the Anduin leaves play, return it to the top of the encounter deck instead of placing it in the discard pile.") as my active location.

At the same time, I already had 2 copies of Lorien Guide ("Response: After Lorien Guide commits to a quest, place 1 progress token on the active location") in play.

On the subsequent planning phase I played a third copy of Lorien Guide, and then sent them all questing. So each one immediately adds a progress token to the Banks, which then returns to the top of the encounter deck. Then I draw a card for staging, and lo and behold, there is my Banks of the Anduin again, which I can then travel to.

So for several turns I managed to basically churn through the same card over and over. I finally got a Forest Snare and brought down the troll, and killed him in another few turns. Since the Banks kept cycling within the same Quest phase, I never had to lose it to his shadow card.

Then it got even better! After I killed him, stage 2 began and I had to start drawing 2 encounter cards. But on my first such draw, I drew my Banks and then amazingly another one! So I travel to one, and then the other is left in staging. On my subsequent Resource Phase, I managed to draw a Northern Tracker, which I was able to play giving me 3 of those in play.

At this point I could quest with all 3 Lorien Guides and all 3 Northern Trackers, which would kick each Banks of the Anduin back to the encounter deck right before staging, at which point I would draw both cards. Needless to say I had a lot of allies at this point so I only needed to do this a couple times before I had quested my way into stage 3.

Anyways, I just thought it was a pretty crazy couple of cycles that I randomly fell into and thought it might be fun to share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into one of those cycles when I had Will of the West and Galadhrim's greeting in play. So each cycle I could reduce my threat, then play WotW to get my threat reduction back into hand ... I thought that I would get an infinitely negative score, but, unfortunately, threat does not go below zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eder Monaco
Italy
Rome
RM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
hilarious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
Doesn't WotW leave play completely after use, thus can not be used to draw itself back from the discard pile? And doesn't WotW only reshuffle your discard pile into your deck? Am I missing something?

As for the OP's cycle: I like it. It's a pity you couldn't create a combination like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
I got into one of those cycles when I had Will of the West and Galadhrim's greeting in play. So each cycle I could reduce my threat, then play WotW to get my threat reduction back into hand ... I thought that I would get an infinitely negative score, but, unfortunately, threat does not go below zero.

You do realize that you add 10 points to score for every turn you take? (thus such tactic is worthless)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
boghog wrote:
Doesn't WotW leave play completely after use, thus can not be used to draw itself back from the discard pile? And doesn't WotW only reshuffle your discard pile into your deck? Am I missing something?
I had 2 WotWs, and had already drawn through nearly all my deck (lots of cards in my hand), and a small discard pile. So each WotW effectively put the other one back in my draw pile.

And, yes, I am aware that they have changed the scoring rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.