Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought my copy of Small World using the yoyo.com coupon that was on reddit a few days ago and noticed that not only does my insert for my race tokens not match the one in the booklet but it is also curved on the bottom like it is meant for round bits and doesn't even really properly fit all the pieces it is meant to.

Here is a picture of the insert I got: http://i.imgur.com/9COM0.jpg

Here is the picture from the booklet: http://i.imgur.com/WkfrX.jpg

Did I get the wrong insert or is this the same one everyone else got (especially new customers I guess) and I just need to make it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find the thread at the moment. They have started using the SWU tray for SW. They did this because it is easier to get all the tokens out though people are having a harder time figuring out how to organize it.

My advice is to toss the tray anyway and just bag them up. It is much easier to handle in the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can't find the thread at the moment. They have started using the SMU tray for SW. They did this because it is easier to get all the tokens out though people are having a harder time figuring out how to organize it.

My advice is to toss the tray anyway and just bag them up. It is much easier to handle in the game anyway.

SMU?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be glad you didn't get the original insert, as you would have spent 1/2 the game:
1. Trying to get tokens out of the insert that had fallen over flat.
2. Peering and peeking inside the deep recesses trying to see which tokens are in which wells.

Haven't tried the new insert but the curved well bottoms and holes in the well walls look to be huge improvements over the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can't find the thread at the moment. They have started using the SMU tray for SW. They did this because it is easier to get all the tokens out though people are having a harder time figuring out how to organize it.

SMU?

Not sure that's an acronym or typo but he was referring to Small World Underground

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I think I read reports that not quite all the races fit in the new trays but that if you store the lost races elsewhere the rest of them do fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can't find the thread at the moment.

Here it is.

To summarize that thread, people are complaining that they got a revised and improved product. Be thankful you have the Underground tray. It's much easier to get tokens out of yours than the original (shown in the rule book). Sure, you'll have to be creative to get them organized (you might have to split up the Lost Tribes, Skeletons, and/or Sorcerers), but at least you won't need to use a suction cup dart or other creative method to get the bits out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can't find the thread at the moment.

Here it is.

To summarize that thread, people are complaining that they got a revised and improved product. Be thankful you have the Underground tray. It's much easier to get tokens out of yours than the original (shown in the rule book). Sure, you'll have to be creative to get them organized (you might have to split up the Lost Tribes, Skeletons, and/or Sorcerers), but at least you won't need to use a suction cup dart or other creative method to get the bits out of the box.

Now that I think about it you guys are right. While for organization purposes the old insert would have been much better I do actually want to play this game and while I will have to finagle it a bit more these are easier to get out than they would have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original tray, and would be more than happy to trade it for anything else on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Haven't tried the new insert but the curved well bottoms and holes in the well walls look to be huge improvements over the original.

Unfortunately, this is not true. Since the wells are not designed to hold the original 14 races, they do not organize properly. This makes them difficult to locate. It also makes returning them to the tray a chore at the end of the game. The tiles also seem just as difficult to get out when they fall flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not true. Since the wells are not designed to hold the original 14 races, they do not organize properly. This makes them difficult to locate. It also makes returning them to the tray a chore at the end of the game. The tiles also seem just as difficult to get out when they fall flat.

Have you tried both trays? I have the original tray with SW and the new tray with SWU (and something similar with Be Not Afraid...), and it's MUCH easier to both locate and get tokens out of the new tray than the old tray. I'm tempted to trade my old tray for another new one, but I don't think the upgrade is worth the cost of shipping.

P.S. Locating the correct tribe with the old tray isn't all that easy, either. You generally have to thumb through them (or refer to the rule book for reference), as the walls of the tray block the images on the tiles (e.g. the new tray improves visibility).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

SMU?

Sorry, meant SWU or Small World Underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This frustrated me quite a deal when I first picked up the game, however, in hindsight, I am very pleased that I ended up with this version and not the old one. One of the users here...

Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

...came up with a pretty brilliant way of organizing the tray so that everything fits, I've attached the image of his configuration below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of the orginal flat-bottomed SW tray but I am happy that everthing fits where it is supposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
This frustrated me quite a deal when I first picked up the game, however, in hindsight, I am very pleased that I ended up with this version and not the old one. One of the users here...

Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

...came up with a pretty brilliant way of organizing the tray so that everything fits, I've attached the image of his configuration below:

This. I was baffled as well when my insert didn't match the one in the rulebook. Fortunately, someone had the same issue a while back and posted this photo of their solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Grohs
United States
Flagstaff
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to what I understand they updated the insert to be curved to have easy access to the tokens. Yours does look a lot like the underground tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is identical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus G
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game this week and had the same problem. Days of Wonder has said they have replaced the old tray with the tray from Small World Underground.

Although I understand those who have the old tray and say it sucks, and that this is an improvement, it is still a poor solution. It was extremely frustrating to start putting the tiles in the tray only to scratch my head and wonder how the heck this was going to work. Maybe they have something in the rules that shows me how it's supposed to work. Oh they do... awesome! Oh wait, that tray in the rules doesn't match the tray that I have. Very frustrating!

It really seemed to me that Days of Wonder didn't test the new tray when they added it to the reprint of Small World. At least I would have liked to see a sheet of paper added to each box showing the recommended storage with the new tray.

Once I got things set up is it true that the tiles are easy to get out of the tray? Yes. However it's also true that the Lost Tribe tokens have been put in the main box insert, and consequently nothing really fits the way it should there either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, they should've put a little "chit tray errata" sheet in with at least an explanation and ideally a diagram. Otherwise just leads to confusion, even if the new tray really is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy, another thread where people talk about the old tray vs. the new tray. Thanks for starting another one of these--it's the first this week, I think.
Now I'm going to go hit myself with a hammer a few times for some more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice that no one started a thread saying "Wow, the new tray is awesome! What a great surprise!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Oh boy, another thread where people talk about the old tray vs. the new tray. Thanks for starting another one of these--it's the first this week, I think.
Now I'm going to go hit myself with a hammer a few times for some more fun.

I think it's understandable that if the components don't match the game rules, there will be confusion and people will start threads asking about it. I mean, the first thing people usually do is check their components against the rules, right? That's why it's weird to me there's no little note about it, DOW is usually on top of things like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
While confusion is understandable, and I even understand that some people may not consider changes to a game as "improvements", what I was expressing in my previous post (while trying to avoid being verbose) is how many of the recent threads are all the same conversation. I will never understand, for the life of me, why people start threads when they could just jump on an existing one. (Cyberclutter is a social crime.)

dcorban wrote:
Notice that no one started a thread saying "Wow, the new tray is awesome! What a great surprise!"

Well that's because only new buyers would even know about the change. Those of us who bought the game in its original incarnation in the past 3 years would have already dealt with our like or dislike of its components and adapted accordingly. Only a new buyer would know about changes (and perhaps then only through comparison to the aforementioned picture in the rulebook).

Perhaps those who had played on a buddy's copy of the game would be aware of the need for a change and be glad they got the new one. Maybe this slice of the population didn't start a bunch of redundant threads, but we sure are speaking up on the existing ones. Many of us would have preferred the current solution to the ones we had to make up--you'd hear us if you got your fingers out of your ears.
whistle

This is, of course, all coming from a guy who does not refer to the rule book in order to put away his game. (gasp!) Yup, I'm one of those people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhang Z
msg tools
I got the same tray during the same yoyo.com sale. I emailed the folks at Days of Wonder and they explained that it was intentional like other people here have said. While that's all well and good that it's supposed to be easier to fish pieces out, it's counterproductive. I'm now spending my time trying to figure out which well those extra 4 pieces that wouldn't fit with their race had to be placed in to make it all store properly. I'm hoping they do something to remedy this, because it's not a satisfactory solution.

Edit: clarified who I emailed.

Edit 2: Oh, also am I the only one who's had issue fitting the other pieces into the rest of the tray? My stack of powers is way taller than the well it was indicated it should go into. I put it into another well, but between me having to store extra races in a different hole and the powers taking up more space I've now got my mountains and a few other large pieces in a ziplock bag instead of in the tray like they should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mage Alexis
msg tools
Glad google turned up this thread... I was wondering the same thing myself last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.