Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own CITOW and HR and have played the base game around 5 times before getting the HR and I have since played the full 5 player game with all Morsleib chaos cards around 5 times as well. I'd play it more but I don't have a regular group and those people I do play with prefer to play a variety of games.

I would love to love the HR as 5 players is a nice number for most of the games nights I get involved in. Personally I haven't found too many issues with the HR expansion but I suspect this is because the games I have played with have always had newbies in them and so balance is not a factor in the enjoyment of the game. Some players have not enjoyed the game but this has mainly been down to it being 'just not their thing' rather than issues with particular cards, rules or balance issues. Lots of people have enjoyed it as well I am glad to say! If anything I write below could be adjusted to allow the viable inclusion of a 5th Skaven player then that would be excellent.

Anyway to my point ...

In this thread: This is the best boardgame I ever played Umbratus says:

Umbratus wrote:
What the base game needs is only a fix for the upgrades. I dont see an easy solution for all the expansion issues but I think that the base games upgrades can be improved by adding a few new interesting cards. I lack the means and ambition to fix the Horned Rat so I abandoned it for good, not planning to look back.

Having read some well reasoned posts by Umbratus I am happy to bow to his clearly vast experience and accept this view. So the question I have is:

What could be done to tweak the Upgrade Cards in the base game to make it play even better, without destroying the balance that already exists, even maybe slightly improving it (if possible!).

I would be prepared to work on some card designs for potentially printing on Artscow but in the first instance some hand written cards would work perfectly well for testing. Even printing a sheet of upgrades details and then ticking off the ones you take would work!

Has any work been done on this sort of idea before? Would it be possible to borrow from the expansion at all, even for just one or two cards or even simply the concepts that are introduced?

The other thing that slightly concerns me about CITOW is that newbies have a hard time seeing past the 'Khorne factor' in the base game. I mean the commonly held belief that Khorne is the best power to play if you want to win. As I largely play with newbies (and you can probably class me with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian.

I tried to work this out twice before, but then feedback wasnt that much and I didnt have some folks willing to have a few test games yet.

This has been my first attempt quite a while back.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/541157/megapoll-and-analysis...

And this the more recent attempt.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/737641/modding-the-upgrades

I think you have all the good ideas in there. It just needs some guts and time to try it out

I'd redo most of the upgrades that dont work from the base game. I'd discard everything FFG did that does not work, also from the expansion. I'd not make a deck from the two of them, mostly. Maybe single exceptions like the Horror Upgrade. The one from the expansion is nice. The base game card is useless. I think using the expansion card all the time may be a good choice.

Neither of both Bloodletter upgrades is a good design on the other hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is a lemon meringue!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and the links, I kind of thought there might have been previous discussion but couldn't face trawling the forum for them so much appreciated!

Lots of reading for me to do. Too tired tonight to do that, might get a chance over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.