Subject: Attack after move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried to piece this together from the rules and threads here, but am still not clear.

In attack example 1, how would the move/attack continue? Can a new attack threat be declared while the unit that would be executing it is in the middle of its move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This thread might answer you question:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695231/gauntlet-run-cavalry-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is because the attacking unit is a cavalry.

Since the defending player retreats, the attacking cavalry unit can keep on moving forward along the road and attack again since the target locale(s) remain in the range of the move (2 locales by road or 3 locales by main road) and the defender retreats each time.

See corresponding rule on page 7 :
Quote:
Attacking pieces moving by road may continue their move (and make additional attacks) if the defender retreated, but may not continue their move if the defender did not retreat

Note : This is only allowed if the defender is in reserve because if he is in approach, he MUST defend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tako wrote:

In attack example 1, how would the move/attack continue? Can a new attack threat be declared while the unit that would be executing it is in the middle of its move?

Maybe this is not what you mean, but: you cannot move any other units (or attack with them - attack is part of a move) before you have finished moving your cavalry by road.
Cavalry units may make 2 (or 3) attack threats along a road (or main road) as one move, if the defender retreats before combat. But the cavalry cannot wait for other units to attack before it completes its road move.

This is stated in the first paragraph in chapter 9:
Quote:
one command must be completed before another can be begun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
fdubois wrote:
See corresponding rule on page 7 :
Quote:
Attacking pieces moving by road may continue their move (and make additional attacks) if the defender retreated, but may not continue their move if the defender did not retreat

Note : This is only allowed if the defender is in reserve because if he is in approach, he MUST defend.

Note that by "attacking pieces", they must be cavalry, as only cavalry can attack by road. Also note that if the defender is in the approach, cavalry attacking by road must be a feint.

In other words, the only way to do multiple attacks by road is for the attackers to be all cavalry, the defenders to not be in the defense approach, and for defenders to retreat before combat. If successful, the attacking cavalry can repeat the sequence along the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All, thanks for the replies.

I understand that the only unit attacking using a road is calvary, but was wondering about how a new attack sequence would unfold with the same cavalry unit if that unit was to continue to attack.

So in the example, the unit entered the defense local since the defender retreated. Since the unit is eligible to move/attack further, do I now just declare a new attack threat and resolve the attack sequence corresdingly. Assuming there would be no defenders again (so no feint is required), the attack declaration would presumably not include a attack command, since that was already given for this unit)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
If there no defenders in a local, just walk right in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, and assuming there are potential defenders, I just issue a new attack threat after my first move into the original defense local?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WalterLai wrote:

Indeed it does, many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Tako wrote:
Ok, and assuming there are potential defenders, I just issue a new attack threat after my first move into the original defense local?

That's right. Just make sure the attackers are still eligible to move again. The "moving corps of two or more units by road" restrictions still apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks! All clear now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.