Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need recommendations for games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
enigmaopoeia .
msg tools
I am currently getting myself back into tabletop gaming and I was hoping to get some recommendations. I have always been a fan of Cluedo and just recently I started to play games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Kill Doctor Lucky, Shadow Hunters, and Werewolf/Mafia and instantly fell in love with them.

I want games in similar veins as the ones I mentioned above. If it helps any, I am a huge fan of Horror-, Fantasy-, and Murder/Mystery-themed games. However I am not too crazy about Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi, or Steampunk-themed games. I would prefer the game to be played with at least two people, but I don't mind getting recommendations for games that must be played with four or more.

I've been eying games like Arkham Horror, Last Night On Earth - The Zombie Game, Mansions of Madness, and Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition. Would those be suitable for my tastes? Also I was wondering if there are any other games that I may have missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enigmaopoeia wrote:
I am currently getting myself back into tabletop gaming and I was hoping to get some recommendations. I have always been a fan of Cluedo and just recently I started to play games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Shadow Hunters, and Werewolf/Mafia and instantly fell in love with them.

I want games in similar veins as the ones I mentioned above. If it helps any, I am a huge fan of Horror- and Fantasy-themed games. However I am not too crazy about Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi, or Steampunk-themed games. I would prefer the game to be played with at least two people, but I don't mind getting recommendations for games that must be played with four or more.

I've been eying games like Arkham Horror, Last Night On Earth - The Zombie Game, Mansions of Madness, and Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition. Would those be suitable for my tastes? Also I was wondering if there are any other games that I may have missed.

Arkham Horror and Last Night on Earth would be the top 2 games I would recommend. Arkham Horror I think fits your theme of what you like the best. It has several expansions and can by either 1 or I believe up to 8 people. Last Night on Earth is fun, not that hard but very intense zombie game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enigmaopoeia wrote:
I am currently getting myself back into tabletop gaming and I was hoping to get some recommendations. I have always been a fan of Cluedo and just recently I started to play games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Shadow Hunters, and Werewolf/Mafia and instantly fell in love with them.

I want games in similar veins as the ones I mentioned above. If it helps any, I am a huge fan of Horror- and Fantasy-themed games. However I am not too crazy about Cyberpunk, Sci-Fi, or Steampunk-themed games. I would prefer the game to be played with at least two people, but I don't mind getting recommendations for games that must be played with four or more.

You're good to go. What you've listed is what you're looking for. If you want something fantasy themed and more campaign driven, check out Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia It's 2 player only. One player plays the heroes the other plays the demons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enigmaopoeia .
msg tools
Thank you for the recommendations, everyone. I feel more confident about getting Arkham Horror and Last Night On Earth - The Zombie Game. I also remember another game that I enjoyed, Kill Doctor Lucky.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark reminds me a lot of my old days of playing AD&D. Not to mention that I love how the game is about exploration. Also Claustrophobia looks crazy! The fact that it can be played with two people really intrigues me. I will definitely look these two games!

Again, thanks everyone!! =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - arcade fun - Claustrophobia is great.

Arkham Horror fell flat for me. Make sure you take a look at it's rule book prior to buying it:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...

I'd hold back on Descent: Journeys in the Dark as there is a new version coming out this year...(?)

Chaos in the Old World is rather different but also may be worth a look.

Letters from Whitechapel and/or Fury of Dracula (second edition) are both deductions games that may be of interest. The former is more elegant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Binney
United Kingdom
skipton
north yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for last night on earth, fits perfectly. similar to arkham horror and by the same people but a slightly smaller game ehich is worth looking into is elder sign. happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I also remember another game that I enjoyed, Kill Doctor Lucky.

There is a save Dr lucky game too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.