Subject: What would fit best? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
i am probably trading my Ora et Labora vs Brass, but i am not sure yet.

Lists of games i have and enjoy:
Puerto Rico, Agricola, Category 5, El Grande, Tigris and Euphrat, Battle Line, Tikal

Lists of games i would enjoy, but don't have the players to game it with:
-Ora et Labora ( i have the feeling that i prefer Agricola by far, because its so much more intuitive and my gaming group didn't like it that much aswell)
-Commands and Colors (i will get my GF into that Later hopefully)
-Löwenherz

List of games i didn't enjoy so much:
Bohnanza, Settlers of Catan, Elfenland (Bohnanza and Settler i play in the right, light group. I enjoy the trading aspect the rest is mehh)

There ares some more games i have, but they are either quite short or not that interesting to me anymore.

I consider to get: (basically the top 30 list)
Brass, Caylus, Eclipse, Pandemic, Power Grid, Steam, Through the Ages, Mage Knight, Trajan, Jaipur, Dominant Species, Cosmic Encounter, Hannibal vs Rome.

The game i am looking for should probably not have a bazzilion of pieces, Agricola level seems ok). If its good with two its a bonus, but for the two player i am quite comfortable with my games at this point.

Do you think Brass fits well into my collection or what games of my considerations or completely else would fit better?
Another option would be to just stick with Ora and hope that i will get oponnents for it later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any tips for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people say that Ora & Labora is a lot closer to Le Havre than to Agricola, especially with a nod to complexity. However, I found that I would deem them quite close in feeling. So (IMO), since you already have one of those (or two, actually), I'd go for trading. And I'd probably also trade Ora & Labora away...

That said, I do not have much of experience with O&L, mind...

As for your wishlist, I only know
Brass, Caylus, Pandemic, Power Grid, Through the Ages, Trajan and Dominant Species, although I heard that Mage Knight or Eclipse should be quite good.

Probably first to Pandemic, as it is the only coop in your list, and something completely different from the rest of your owned games. You should keep that in mind. And, seeing that your collection is somewhat diverse, even if most of the games are on the "thinking" side, it could very well be a good idea to broaden the spectrum with it. Personal feelings aside (I don't like it), it is a really good game, and becomes even more so with it's expansion.

Brass, Caylus, Power Grid, Through the Ages, Trajan and Dominant Species are brainburners, and don't forgive mistakes very easily...
The heaviest here probably is Trajan, as it will take you two or more rounds to grasp how to actually use all the levers of this game. It's not hard to understand, but not very easy to play. Optimizers could take quite a long time to plan, and casual gamers could feel "played".
Dominant Species probably comes next. It is a very concise game, quite "easy" to learn, but challenging to play. That said, the a lot of it depends on your fellow players. In general, however, it is really a cutthroat game, more a wargame than anything else. However, actions are pretty straightforward and concise, with not that much downtime - so that optimizers will not have that many opportunities to drag the game...
Brass is also of the brainburning type, and takes a one or two rounds to getting used to (and some of the aspects are, at least to me, a little counter-intuitive), but it is a pondering game, with lots of optimizing opportunities, and as such can be prone to drag a bit.
Through the Ages is basically a card game, but one of the most brilliant I've ever seen. And it's civilization. Player turns are quite short and concise, although it is not the easiest game to play, or learn (lots of stuff in the Advanced Game). It can be a bit fiddly, but afte the first game it usually works out fine. However, it is not that interactive, if you do not assault your fellow players. And attacking can have huge drawbacks for your civilization.
Caylus, then, is a worker placement game, with the usual interaction of blocking actions for others, but there's more to that. Not hard to learn, but also a challenge. Although it is probably one of the easiest to play in your lot. On the plus side, it has the option of adding actions further down the game (by building stuff), and keeps different, because the players decide when to build what (more or less). Also has a small amount of gambling and bluffing...
Power Grid, considered by some as a game of medium weight, is basically a game of bidding, buying and selling. Only you don't sell, you "burn" your ressources for electricity. It can also be described as "train game without trains", because you connect spaces on the net. However, the driving mechanic is the bidding on power plants. And if you know what plants are in the stack (and yet to come), you've got the hang of it. Might take some plays. This one is quite easy to learn, but might also be a little dryer in feeling than the others...

If you ask me about recommendations, then, I would trade it for:
Dominant Species, Through the Ages, Trajan, Brass, Caylus, Power Grid. The order is based on what I think is the more enjoyable game. However, that is personal taste.
And if you want to diversify greatly, as said above, put Pandemic in front of Dominant Species...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.