Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Time is running out quickly for any opportunity to get in at the grassroots level for Serpent's Tongue! This is the best value you will ever get, so get a pledge in before the clock runs out. Just passing on some sage advice.....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/serpents-tongu...

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yee
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one a bit bummed that Dice Tower News hasn't even MENTIONED Serpent's Tongue (if their latest podcast does that's cool but the news site nada) with it blowing the doors off of so many records for Kickstarter games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who knows. Maybe Tom doesn't do CCG's.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yee
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Who knows. Maybe Tom doesn't do CCG's.....

-Ski

Maybe but I talked to Eric directly and he sounded excited about it. I mean he's a voice actor he's perfect for ST.

Granted they may be waiting on their demo copies as they have been promised a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yee
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I kinda of insulted Tom and the guys over at The Dice Tower about all this in their section of the forum. Here's his official response: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9151645#9151645

TomVasel wrote:
OK, let me deal with this a bit at a time.

First of all, for those who think the site is a huge disappointment, can you tell me why?

We started the site off small, because - well, we want to make sure we do it the best that we can. I stll am not full time Dice Tower - but I will be in June, and hopefully you'll see a big diference in the site then. Andy is working hard, but it's still a very small part time thing he's doing, and I can't ask him to work on it 24/7.

I don't want to miss news, I watch all the other news sites, and I pretty much publish EVERY news story that a publisher sends me. So if a publisher sends me a press release, I put it up.

Now, as to Kickstarter stuff, I knew that this would be a problem. In fact, I called Andy and we talked about it in great detail. Some news sites (Purple Pawn in particular) have become Kickstarter only, and that's not fair to the huge percentage of the board game industry that's not. Also, I didn't want to flood the site with every update on every kickstarter story. I mean, is it really news every time a kickstarter campaign breaks a record, because it's not THAT interesting.

So this is what we decided. Any company that would send me a press release about their Kickstarter campaign would get a news story - ONE. We would only do additional news stories on those same games when they are released or if something incredibly news-worthy happens (and who decides that? me.)

Because let's be honest. As cool as Kickstarter is, it's still a small percentage of the board game industry. It's not fair to Fantasy Flight, Rio Grande, Mayfair, and hundreds of other publishers if I put up 50%+ Kickstarter stories, and crowd out their stuff.

If you see a good story that you think we are missing, email me directly at tomvasel@gmail.com, and I'll get it up. Of course I'll use my discretion, but I want to get up as much news as possible. You are going to see some big changes in June, I can promise that.

On a personal note, is Serpent's Tongue even really a board game? It's something that I have zero interest in, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't post something about it. It looks like an RPG more than a board game, I think.

So how can we improve the news? Let me know! Want to come on and help us improve it? Come on aboard!!!!

So I guess no Press Release no story? Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely understand Tom's position. It is his site and he has a ton of games to cover. That said, he obviously hasn't looked at the game seriously if he refers to ST as an RPG. I don't think he cares for the subject matter either IMHO. He covers a lot of card games and he never mentions the fact that they had no boards to go along with them....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
.....Anyways, when the game hits the streets, it will be its own best advertisement.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
I will send him a message.

Aaron Gabrielson
Son of Gabriel 2
Project Manager
Serpent's Tongue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yee
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
.....Anyways, when the game hits the streets, it will be its own best advertisement.

-Ski

Very true!

That said I do hope the site can improve as I enjoy the videos and podcasts and only find the "news" site a huge disappointment. Especially when you're told about a SUCCESSFUL project. I.e. we don't need them to get over the line it's going to come out anyway and that means they should cover it as a real story.

Just saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.