Subject: Help me Understand: Postage to US Addresses ONLY. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: auctions [+] [View All]
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Another day, another geekbay auction with lots of lovely goodies for sale. I get ready to splash some $$$ and down comes the portculis.

SHIPPING TO US ADDRESSES ONLY

Which I have to say I don't really understand. If I'm buying something and I'll pay the postage no matter how ridiculous it may be to move something across a relatively open land border, then why won't you ship it to me?

I'll ship to Antarctica on your dime.

Is it that business about the White House getting burned down? I thought you'd let that go.

I'll admit I haven't mailed stuff from the US before so can't be sure if you get strip searched if the mailman sees a foreign address on the box, but I would think that unless you're packing baggies full of white powder right there on the post office counter you should be ok.

I don't know why you'd stop me giving you my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't go in a flat rate box, I'm just too damn lazy to go in the post office and fill out the paperwork. The lines are long. I'll find a domestic buyer soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it because shipping stuff internationally takes a lot of time, and that's time that you don't pay for.

It's not just the money for me, it's the extra effort I have to put into it. The extra forms, the research to figure out what shipping methods are available, the hope that something doesn't hit the border, and then end up being turned back because of an extra tax add-on.

Then there's currency exchange, extra fees for international payment, and the like.

I would estimate it takes about 10 times as long to deal with an international sale, on average.

In an auction or individual sale situation, that same item that you are willing to buy is also something that someone else is willing to buy for the same price. If they are in the same country, I then don't have the same extra time and effort cost to get the same (or sometimes more, if there are currency fees) reward.

Now, if I were a company with thousands of copies of a board game, then I would want to ship them wherever I could. But I only have one copy of Timber Tom, so if someone in the US buys it, I'll make the same money that if someone in Japan buys it... and it takes a lot less time and effort.

My time is valuable to me, so I don't want to spent it doing a considerable amount of extra effort for the same reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
When I participate in math trades, I ship to the US only because I can't get any sort of delivery confirmation when a package goes to a foreign address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If it doesn't go in a flat rate box, I'm just too damn lazy to go in the post office and fill out the paperwork.

DING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If it doesn't go in a flat rate box, I'm just too damn lazy to go in the post office and fill out the paperwork. The lines are long. I'll find a domestic buyer soon enough.

I must live in the coolest place in the universe. The longest I have ever had to wait at the post office has been around 10 minutes, and that is a rarity.

I will ship anywhere if you are paying for it - I find that most people balk at the price anyway when you are dealing with $50 shipping for a $40 game, though one fine gentleman down in Brazil has purchased several things from me, and he appreciates the effort as he cannot get games readily where he lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to do shipping to us only in my eBay auctions because there's typically a large enough pool of potential buyers in the us alone that I don't need to and want to bother with the extra hassle of shipping outside the us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
When I participate in math trades, I ship to the US only because I can't get any sort of delivery confirmation when a package goes to a foreign address.

Math Trades (and trades in general) are a different beast though, the shipper is eating the cost. I recently turned down a trade to the US because for the shipping I could buy the proposed trade new in shrink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I must live in the coolest place in the universe. The longest I have ever had to wait at the post office has been around 10 minutes, and that is a rarity.

I will ship anywhere if you are paying for it - I find that most people balk at the price anyway when you are dealing with $50 shipping for a $40 game, though one fine gentleman down in Brazil has purchased several things from me, and he appreciates the effort as he cannot get games readily where he lives.

I've complained a lot about many things in Sweden. But the semi-commercialization of the post office was a great thing. Local stores are now the post office (a la "general stores" in the old days). The lines are usually not long. There is no paperwork for International shipping (at least within the EU and to the US). Shipping something to another country takes no more time than shipping within Sweden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind shipping outside the US because it happens so rarely for me personally. I've done it maybe twice. It's a bit more work, I'll admit. A few extra forms to fill out, basically. The biggest drawback and added time is getting a shipping quote to some place that's across an ocean, and then waiting for the inevitable "No thanks, the shipping is too expensive." If I was an active seller moving one game at a time, I could see how the extra few bucks wouldn't be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll mirror the expensive pain in the butt comments. I've mailed to three different continents and it's just not worth it. And the hassle really does depend on the post office too. Some have made me fill out tax and customs forms and some just charged me postage and sent me on my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
nbergom wrote:

Math Trades (and trades in general) are a different beast though, the shipper is eating the cost. I recently turned down a trade to the US because for the shipping I could buy the proposed trade new in shrink.

Well, yes, but I was just posting why I would do U.S. only to answer the original question.

In one of my first math trades, I posted that I'd ship worldwide, but cover only the first $8 of shipping if it's going international. Someone in Brazil got one of my games, and while he willingly covered the excess shipping costs, it was quite the hassle at the post office, and I felt really uneasy about having no delivery confirmation.

I just like being able to go to the USPS website, punch in a number, and see that yes, my game did arrive at its destination. I can't do that with a foreign address, so I'd rather avoid shipping internationally, even if the other person's footing the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
1- Canada is way too far from the US;
2- They don't speak Canadian;
3- They are afraid of the Sasquatch.

Edit: Typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the perspective chaps, US Mail seems a lot more complicated than everywhere I've lived.

Even in downtown Vancouver, I just show up at 2pm, stroll right up to the counter and the nice old lady even slaps all the stickers on for me. I can't remember filling a form in ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always some risk taken on by the shipper that a botched job [damaged or missing package] by the postal service will result in a request for refund / reparation by the buyer even if the shipper did everything they could to verify a smooth and safe transaction.

The longer the distance traveled by the package and the more hands the package is touched by on its route from seller to buyer, the more risk there is that something will go wrong and both parties will end up unhappy. I'm not willing to take on that extra risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally ship internationally, but I'm willing in most cases.... Here's why I don't like it, though:

1. I have to go to the Post Office, get an estimate (I don't have stuff to weigh it here at home), e-mail the perspective buyer, get their response, take it back to the Post Office and ship it. It isn't pulling teeth, but it can be inconvenient. (I can use my company's mailroom - at my expense - for domestic shipping - which is VERY convenient.)

2. There's no really good way to get tracking internationally (on a budget). Everyone wants confirmation, but it gets expensive. I'd like confirmation because I experience some anxiety from international sales because I get concerned that it either doesn't show, or it shows and the (dishonest) buyer decides to dispute the paypal transaction, getting their money back and leaving me out in the cold.

3. I've had buyers use the cost of shipping to get me to lower my prices on games. I try to keep my games as low as I'm willing to take because I'm trying to sell off my collection. I could set it higher with this in mind, but I'd probably lose opportunities.

4. About 25% of perspective international buyers want me to fudge the customs form so they can avoid paying customs charges. That's usually a deal breaker for me because I become skittish about whether or not they'll admit receiving the game if I ship it.

5. I had one person, despite repeated reminders, end up paying in Canadian dollars, which at the time cost me a few extra dollars beyond the inconvenience. I just gave up and sent it (new BGG user, everything was like pulling teeth).

That being said...I will still do it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foreign lands have had a tendency to steal packages -- with no comfirmation options, it is an easy grab. Even Treefrog games has special delivery fees assessed to Brazil due to packages going missing in transport, so it is door-to-door delivery or nothing, there...or it might not make it, and some postal worker might be playing a copy of a new-found A few Acres of Snow wherein you are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are also closing a lot of post offices around the county. It would take over an hour round trip (due to traffic and lights and the time at the post office) to get the estimate.

Then another hour to mail it.

Not even getting to Gas costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I take from my wife's experience that soured me from shipping out of the borders. In the last two years, she's had 6 charge backs from ebay and paypal for packages sent to Canada either being totally destroyed or missing all together. For some reason Canadian post just sucks. Then on top of figuring out insurance and trying to keep the person on the other end happy not having to pay crazy custom fees.

All that together says, I don't ship to Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What Scott and Nate said. There's a ton of extra time and risk involved to ship something outside the US. And the US postal service is legendarily slow. In Boston a short trip to the post office is 30 minutes. That's not including time spent getting to and from said post office.

As an example of risk and headache:

A few months ago I bought a game from a German seller. When the package arrived to me, something had put a hole through the outer box and straight into the game box, putting a sizable hole it what was a brand-new and fairly rare 18xx game.

Fortunately it was insured, and it only took me 4 months, 2 post office visits and 5 phone calls to get my money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I can ship in-US without leaving my room... just print the USPS label and schedule them to pick up. I can then get tracking and delivery confirmation information online.

Outside the US requires driving to the post office, standing in line and filling out extra forms. (Gas = $$, Time = $$, Stress = $$)

Add to that the fact that one time when I did sell something (a computer part) to a person in Canada, they scolded me for not marking "gift" on the customs forms. It wasn't a gift, it was a purchase from a business (me).

Anyway, that's my US-shipping-only story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Foreign lands have had a tendency to steal packages -- with no comfirmation options, it is an easy grab. Even Treefrog games has special delivery fees assessed to Brazil due to packages going missing in transport, so it is door-to-door delivery or nothing, there...or it might not make it, and some postal worker might be playing a copy of a new-found A few Acres of Snow wherein you are not.

Two very simple steps can prevent those... insurance and delivery confirmation. Postal services in Brazil tend to be quite reliable, actually (customs may cause delays, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
Thanks for the perspective chaps, US Mail seems a lot more complicated than everywhere I've lived.

I don't know if US shipping is all that complicated. The fact of the matter is, if you're a US dealer/trader, you can probably afford to be lazy as there are so many US BGGers. If you're in Canada or Brazil etc., you're limiting yourself if you refuse to ship cross border.

A bit unfair, perhaps, but that's probably what's driving this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
flag msg tools
berserkr wrote:

Postal services in Brazil tend to be quite reliable, actually (customs may cause delays, though).

Ugh, it's the same down here, postal service is fine but customs and clearing is a complete disaster.

If I order something from the UK and customs doesn't notice it I'll have it within a week. If they do notice, that week suddenly becomes a month... Or two. They're like a black hole for mail, once I had a parcel (I thought it was lost/stolen/whatever) show up four months later and with extra duties payable that weren't even applicable to the items. Bloody useless - makes DHL almost worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Read all the above comments. Its simply not worth the extra hassle.

I've experienced just about all the negative ones personally in the few times I have done it, and so I no longer offer international shipping, no matter whose paying for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.