Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Is it possible to really mess up the game by making 'bad' decisions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my gaming group aren't what you'd call hardcore gamers. Everyone enjoys what we play, and the core gameplay of Risk: Legacy won't be a problem - we've played Axis and Allies, Buck Rogers, Conquest of the Empire, Cosmic Encounter, AH, Wiz-War, BSG, and others a lot, so everyone's got a fair idea of different types of mechanics.

However, some of the players might not be hugely aware of the future tactical potential of doing stuff like permenently affecting continents and countries and the like, so might just sort of have a bit of a cavalier attitude towards choosing effects.

I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to do something that causes future games to be 'bad' or not fun in some way.

Can you break this game?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The common wisdom is that you can break the game if you really, really try to (e.g. let somebody win the first ten games), but you won't break it by making decisions without fully considering the consequences. Heck, in most cases, you don't even really know what the consequences are for some of the decisions you make until much later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Swank
msg tools
sure you can break the game just by adding doing anything to this game. that is if you are used to regular risk. so you really aren't breaking the game your changing the game. Some changes will give you the advantage one game but maybe your friends the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take this with a grain of salt because I have not yet played the game. However, several friends of mine played a series of 13 or so games, and I kept checking in on the overall game state. They kind of broke it in favor of one player.

Basically there was not enough of concerted effort by the group to stop one single player after he won several games in the first series of games. He got so many benefits from these wins that he became almost unbeatable. At some point, they probably needed to gang up on the leader without consideration of whether they won or last that single game.

I think they got a suggested fix for this from the designer, but I don't know what the suggestion was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lawrence
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistakes you make when altering the board may come back to haunt you in later games, but I don't think that's the same as breaking the game. I think it actually adds to the fun. I haven't played all the way through, but so far none of the changes that we've been allowed to make to the game are so dramatic that the game is unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
ciscokidnj wrote:
Take this with a grain of salt because I have not yet played the game. However, several friends of mine played a series of 13 or so games, and I kept checking in on the overall game state. They kind of broke it in favor of one player.

Basically there was not enough of concerted effort by the group to stop one single player after he won several games in the first series of games. He got so many benefits from these wins that he became almost unbeatable. At some point, they probably needed to gang up on the leader without consideration of whether they won or last that single game.

I think they got a suggested fix for this from the designer, but I don't know what the suggestion was.

Sounds to me like they would have to gang up on the guy in any game, if the one player was that dominant. That's a group problem, not a Risk: Legacy problem.

To address the O.P., the changes you make to the game won't ruin it. Some areas will get stronger, some weaker, but some are better than others in any Risk game anyway. Balancing will take care of itself, because people will fight based on who has the prime real estate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.