Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hathaway
United States
Waycross
Ga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had an opponent concede in round five. He spent the first stage posting gibberish in the chat box, which is fine. I'm sure his English is better than my (insert foreign language).

Here is the game on BaJ.
http://www.boiteajeux.net/jeux/agr/partie.php?id=214332

For ease of reading, here is the turn-by-turn of the game.

Round one (Sow/Bake)

Jason: OCC Fence Deliveryman
OKO: 3W (3)
Jason: Day Labor
OKO: Starting Player + Corn Sheaf

Round two (Sheep)

OKO: 1R (2)
Jason: 1C (2)
OKO: 3W (3)
Jason: Starting Player + Horse

Round three (Fences)

Jason: Fishing (3f)
OKO: OCC Farm Steward
Jason: 3W (3)
OKO: Fences (-6W) (2x1 pasture)

Round four (Major/Minor)

Jason: 1R (2)
OKO: 1C (2)
Jason: FIREPLACE2
OKO: Starting Player + Lasso

Round five (Family Growth + Minor)

OKO: 3W (6)
Jason: Sheep (take 4, cook 3)
OKO: GIVES UP!

Is he really that far behind? Is he behind at all?

Resource totals:

Jason has:
9 food
3 wood
2 reed
1 sheep

2 rooms
no fields
no pastures

OKO has:
no food
6 wood
2 clay
1 reed

2 rooms
no fields
1 (2x1) pasture

I'm just fishing for feedback. I don't feel like I played stage one any better than he did. In fact, I felt like I was losing this game. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were upset when you took four sheep and they had lasso?
But it doesn't look like they are that bad a player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe real life called and he couldn't stay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play on boiteajeux, but...it does appear to be on the internet, which means all typical internet warnings may apply there. It's possible that he just got bored or is just kind of a jerk or any number of things that make people on the internet behave weirdly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
It's sadly not that uncommon in other online games for people to quit the instant something doesn't go their way. Evidently some people don't think a game is worth playing if they can't steamroll their opponents. Of course, there could be any number of other reasons why this person quit; Real Life intruding being the most obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BAJ games are turn based, so it wouldn't matter if real life interrupted him. The games can last months...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterious but possibly explicable. Maybe there is a problem with how bolteljeaux implement's Lasso (or with your opponents understanding of same).

The correct move in his position at the beginning of round 5 is clearly to use Lasso to get both the 6 wood and the 4 sheep. I would guess that that is what he wanted to do, but he couldn't work out how to do it using the interface available- he clicked on the 6 wood and then it went straight to your turn, when it should be giving him the option to Lasso the sheep.

In this situation I can understand a resignation out of frustration, although personally I would have tried to resolve things with messages first.

The above is all a guess of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
For what it's worth, Jason, I'd say you were winning. Not a good reason on its own for him to quit, though.

His round 3 is pretty weak. Farm Steward can (and usually should) wait. The pasture is just weird. I'd estimate that someone who made these two moves hasn't grasped the game enough to realize they're behind in R5, or why they're behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
OKO's a nutter. I've played him several times and he's always used absurd strategies.

I'm guessing it pays off once in a while, and he's being experimental rather than competitive. Which, I have to say, is fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that OKO likely muffed the Lasso play in Round 5 and quit in frustration. I doubt it was an interface problem, though, since the game clearly announces that you can make another (appropriate) move when you have the Lasso active. Trouble is you have to make that other move before you click the finish move button, and I'm betting he clicked it thinking he'd then get the second move to take the woolies. Bummer for him. Like Philip said, he could have asked for Jason's patience while a moderator fixed things.

Some people are like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is certainly a common problem. I'm stuck in a game where the person who started the game quit on Round 2. I looked at his history, and he's in 140 games of Agricola simultaneously! And, he hasn't been on the site in almost two weeks. So, there are hundreds of people waiting on one guy to take his turn(s).

Sheesh, it's frustrating when people bail out of a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's a pain. My oldest game on BAJ has been running for around 6 months now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caldwell
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with BAJ is that most people play to the end, even if that takes several months. Sorry you had bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a BAJ forum thread to request game kills of a certain age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a clunky way to handle it. I'm sure a lot of games get abandoned. Maybe they should just kill any game where nobody's taken a move in two weeks, or a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Jim Cobb wrote:
That seems like a clunky way to handle it. I'm sure a lot of games get abandoned. Maybe they should just kill any game where nobody's taken a move in two weeks, or a month.

I agree that the current system is clunky, but I can see reasons they haven't set up an auto-kill yet.

I just finished a 5p game where at one point over three months went by with no moves (due to one player, of course). It was R10 and I was in a strong position when this started, and I ended up winning, so I'm glad the game was finished. Second place also received a hefty elo boost, so I'm sure they're glad as well (for the anecdotal record the person dragging their feet did take last place).

What I'd like to see:

1. A way to rearrange the games I'm currently involved in. Among other things, I could put the slow ones at the bottom, or even in a folder (though I'd still be notified when it's my turn).

2. If someone does leave a game for a long period of time, they should receive a warning that that game will be treated as abandoned. As many here will know, at BaJ, abandoning a game (by pressing the actual abandon button) costs the abandoner elo, and rewards that elo to the other players.

That said, BaJ must be run on a shoestring, so it works well enough as is. I suppose these kinds of features could be part of their new 'premium' package, but obviously it'd be difficult to implement #2 for some players and not others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm sure they're running on a shoestring, and their interface is pretty awesome for such a complicated game. It's just too bad that any one player can mess things up so totally. But that's hardly unique to BaJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yeah, it really rots when a game stalls when you are in a clear winning position. Particularly when the slow player has a high ELO and seems to visit the site frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough. It's as if they think their ELO actually has some great existential significance.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
As long as there are numbers, there will be people competing to have the biggest numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:
As long as there are numbers, there will be people competing to have the biggest numbers.

Oh, I agree completely. We're an infinitely competitive species. It just never ceases to amuse me that we can get so wrapped up in illusory pursuits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Foster
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
MisterG wrote:
It just never ceases to amuse me that we can get so wrapped up in illusory pursuits.
What other kinds are there, really? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
MisterG wrote:
It just never ceases to amuse me that we can get so wrapped up in illusory pursuits.
What other kinds are there, really? cool

Oh, that's right, go gettin' all philosophical on me! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.