Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I'm teaching friends to play for my birthday. I've slowly disseminated information to them and created a play-by-play for the first turn with VASSAL to aid in comprehension. Originally, I had 5 players, and I was going to play the two-power role. But we're down to 3 now. With all the time that's gone into prep, and my strong desire to get this to the table, I don't want to give up--

but I worry that two powers each for new players will be too difficult, and the diplomacy too stilted, to hook them to play again.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
After trying (unsuccessfully) to teach it with 6, my next attempt will be with 3. This was my reasoning...

1. Less people jabbering about other stuff while the active player is trying to learn.
2. Easier to coordinate schedules.
3. Wider scope of learning for each player (if one player only learns how to play Protestant, they have to basically relearn the game if they get Ottoman).
4. Less "irrelevant" stuff going on which may cause new players to lose attention span

I haven't tried it yet, but I strongly suspect that it's a better way to teach it provided the newbies understand the juggling that will be involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Kehrer
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
i agree that 3 player is probably a better way to learn the game. yes it diminishes some of the nuances of the game like diplomacy, but when you're learning something this complex that's probably better. playing 2 powers isn't that bad and it's nice for learning since you get to experience and learn 2 powers at once. it will definitely give you the learning required to get the flow of the game and the basics of movement, combat, and religious struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play was 3p, and since then I've played it again 3p, and I find it still a very enjoyable game... One of very few games I rate a 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Thanks for the responses! I feel much better about pressing on.

Is there a best practice for handling diplomacy? (if two are talking, one is left out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.