Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some non-fiction/fiction titles that would go well with ASL and the Beyond Valor module. I just picked up the 2nd Ed. rules and that module, any suggestions?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gamez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My all-time favorite 1st person account is "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. His mother was French and his father was German so he was conscripted into the Wehrmacht Motor Pool on the Western Front. He later winds up in the Grossdeutschland Division on the Eastern Front in the winter. Just the best read you'll have in a while.

I couldn't find it for a long time then I ran across several copies at my local used bookstore. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should just point out some folks feel Forgotten Soldier is either full of errors or fabricated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter branham
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i agree with robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemy at the Gates is appropriate, and one of John Hill's primary inspirations while designing the original Squad Leader. I haven't gotten to reading it myself yet, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Forgotten Soldier is a great book. I think the criticism of the book are unwarranted. It is a memoir written by a soldier, not historical analysis written by an academic. The criticisms come from people judging it as a piece of academic writing. Human memory, especially episodic memory, is faulty, constructive, reconstructive and reproductive. This book may have the wrong date when Grossdeutschland was in such and such a village area, but his experiences as a front line soldier on the eastern front ring true.

(He did not get conscripted, he volunteered)

Now if you really want books that line up with the crazy war movie quality stuff that happens in ASL read the fiction from Leo Kessler like the Assault Battalion Wotan or Stormtroop Edelweiss series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Henry Thripshaw
United States
Pacific NW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend both Cross of Iron and Crack of Doom by Willi Heinrich.

Very good Eastern Front historical fiction that would make a good companion to Beyond Valor or SL Cross of Iron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome guys, I have read the Sajer book right before my Storms of Steel Kursk game arrived...and I really enjoyed it, I will look into these others see what I can find. Whenever I get a new wargame I like to read something from the period/theme, etc., I'll start tracking down some of your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:
The Forgotten Soldier is a great book. I think the criticism of the book are unwarranted. It is a memoir written by a soldier, not historical analysis written by an academic. The criticisms come from people judging it as a piece of academic writing. Human memory, especially episodic memory, is faulty, constructive, reconstructive and reproductive. This book may have the wrong date when Grossdeutschland was in such and such a village area, but his experiences as a front line soldier on the eastern front ring true.

Actually, the criticisms go deeper than that.

Stated simply, there are much better autobiographical books out there from a German perspective. Soldat by Siegfried Knappe is quite good, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for the action style:

http://groovyageofhorror.blogspot.ca/2007/02/blitzfreeze-by-...

for the historic style:

http://www.amazon.com/With-Backs-Berlin-Tony-Tissier/dp/0750...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Martin
England
Whitstable
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern Inferno

Stalingrad- Antony Beevor

199 days the battle for Stalingrad.

And a little tenuous but Hitlers traitor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Enemy at the Gates is appropriate, and one of John Hill's primary inspirations while designing the original Squad Leader. I haven't gotten to reading it myself yet, however.

Make sure you get the William Craig book "Enemy at the Gates"
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/435556.Enemy_at_the_Gates

not the film version which is based on about 3-4 pages of that book.

The Sajer book 'Forgotten Soldier' is disputed over historical accuracy, and for a while it was thought he was really a Waffen SS volunteer, but this has been revised to some extent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Sajer
I don't think anyone disputes he served in the German military on the East Front, but in which unit is more problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Günter K. Koschorrek: Blood red snow
Infantryman's memoirs and notes from the eastern front.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/815783.Blood_Red_Snow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sajer's book is a good read whatever its flaws might be (and I suspect that they're numerous and non-trivial); and Enemy at the Gates and Beevor's Stalingrad are 2 really good general histories of the infamous battle; so I second all those suggestions. To add to the list I’d recommend Richard Overy’s Russia's War: A History of the Soviet Effort: 1941-1945- for a good study of the war from the Soviet side; and pretty much any book about the Russian Front from Osprey Publishing. The potted histories of the Osprey Campaign Histories are particularly useful, but there are fascinating books relevant to the Russian Front across the company’s ranges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Emery
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
US Army pamphlet 20-269: Small Unit Actions During The German Campaign In Russia

You can read it for free online, and it might give you a few good ideas for your next game ASL game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tigers in the mud by Otto Carius is well worth a read. A German panzer commanders view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.