Subject: Mauro dos Prazeres memorial on the countersheet! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Blanchette
United States
Brooklyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thanks out to Daniel and the other mercenary countersheet organizers, who've given us a GEV-PC to immortalize Brazilian gaming pioneer and long-term SJG partner, Mauro dos Prazeres, dead far too young this February of a heart attack.

MAURO DEVIR or MAURO P. will be on the sheet and the GEV-PC is very appropriate choice to remember him by. Mauro was always proud of how many people he was able to "carry" through the Brazilian recession of the 1990s by hiring them on as Devir employees - people who had very unique skill-sets and who would have otherwise been doing sweet fuck-all. Many of us Devir and ex-Devir folks got our first serious job in this fashion.

And Mauro was way more tough than a mere truck, so, yeah.

Thanks to Mauro's kids, Carolina and Matheus Fink and Devirites Silvio, Yuri, Melissa, Glauco, Paulo, Erik, Luiz and Johnny for chipping in with suggestions. Hugs to all!

And a link to the comic book crowd's memorial of Mauro going up, up and away over São Paulo...

http://aqcsp.blogspot.com.br/2012/02/adeus-mauro-dos-prazere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about Mauro D.! What kind of company was Devir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I speak for all the Merc sponsors when I say that we're the ones who are honoured, to have Mauro's GEV-PC along side us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
I think I speak for all the Merc sponsors when I say that we're the ones who are honoured, to have Mauro's GEV-PC along side us

Amen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Blanchette
United States
Brooklyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devir is still going strong and it is this company right here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/2366/devir

"Founded in Brazil in 1987, the Devir brand looked to the imaginative universes of fiction and fantasy to establish it's roots, offering products which involve wits, knowledge, art, and social interaction. Beyond information, culture and fun, these products keep the strength of dreams clear and alive in all of us."

It started out a comics importer, then Mauro got the company into RPGs and it just grew from there. Devir now has offices on three continents, I believe, and is producing its own games for the international market. It's main focus still remains Portuguese-language geek products of all sorts, however.

I worked for Devir from 1991 to 1999 as their main games imports manager and general English-language dogsbody and Boy Friday. A couple people still working in the U.S. industry might vaguely remember me from phone calls and Gencon during those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.