Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
After a learning game or two,

- How long does a game of Warhammer: Invasion take you on average?
- What's the range of play times you've experienced?
- Judging by other games, do you and your gaming partner(s) usually fall on the long or short end of playing times?

I ask because I have Summoner Wars and Claustrophobia as a 2 player tactical battle-themed games (I know they're not that much like Warhammer: Invasion, that's not the point), and while I enjoy them I was a bit disappointed that our games often run around 90 rather than the 45 minutes advertised. So I'd like to know whether this one's closer to its advertised playing time in practise or not.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends quite a bit on the type of deck that you've built. A game with 2 "speed" deckbuilds can take less than 30 mins, easily. Also, AP prone players can lengthen the time since this is a game about card combos and each card can be played in several ways, which I consider a very strong feature of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an experienced player, my matches usually last 10 to 20 minutes.

If yours take that long, it's probably because you're new, have to check/discuss rules and figure out what to do, your decks aren't very focused/strong and you might be playing too defensively and making suboptimal choices which delay you. It's normal, if you keep playing, your playing time per match will decrease dramatically. Certain strategy matchup can make games drag out, but I'd consider anything longer than 30 minutes pretty unusual if you're experienced and using competitive decks. The more casual your approach is, the longer matches might last, but 90 minutes is way too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planetary wrote:

If yours take that long, it's probably because you're new, have to check/discuss rules and figure out what to do, your decks aren't very focused/strong and you might be playing too defensively and making suboptimal choices which delay you. It's normal, if you keep playing, your playing time per match will decrease dramatically. Certain strategy matchup can make games drag out, but I'd consider anything longer than 30 minutes pretty unusual if you're experienced and using competitive decks. The more casual your approach is, the longer matches might last, but 90 minutes is way too long.

That.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gorniak
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
Planetary wrote:

Not sure who you're referring to, but as I point out in my question I've never played Warhammer: Invasion - I'm trying to get an impression of how long the game takes once rule question or lack of card knowledge don't slow down the game anymore. My 90 minute comment was about other games - I thought that was clear, but if not I apologize.

In any case, 10-20 minutes for an experienced player sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob (he/him)
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think 10 minutes is a bit of a stretch.

I would say 30-45 mins is about average for us.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I consistently play 6-8 games in 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me and my buddies, 20-45 minutes, with a half hour being average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 6 times, the longest game was about 45 minutes. Mostly 30 minutes or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.