United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I hope you are enjoying Empires of the Void. I wanted to give a few tips on strategy and some suggestions for your first games:

1. Actions are the basic currency of the game, so use them wisely. Don't waste actions trying to conquer a planet with one Starfighter, or even one Centipede. It's also usually a risky idea to try to befriend a planet when you only have two diplomacy cards of that type. Also, remember to move efficiently. You don't have to use warp gates every turn.

2. Do whatever you can to get sets of cards. Ask people to trade all the time; offer credits, threaten, etc. And don't be too focused on getting a specific set. Just get whatever set you can. You'll need them for diplomacy, and if you don't have any kind of bonus to your diplomacy roll, you'll most likely need three.

3. Get as many planets as possible, as fast as possible. Take all the planets nearby.

4. Be willing to let planets go. If a player pours all of his resources into taking a planet from you, sometimes it's a good idea to run right past his fleet and take some of his undefended planets, instead of butting heads.

5. Alien ships are quite powerful. It's a good idea to ally with a planet that has one early in the game.

6. If you haven't used the Capital City cards, give them a try! http://www.redravengames.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/empi...

7. Keep things moving and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
One strategy I've liked to employ in the 2 games I've played (including one against Ryan himself last December!):

If you really want to protect your systems, get the Starcruiser Tractor Beam tech and throw some Starcruisers as pickets along your edges. Avoid camping them on your planets, because while they will slow the enemy, they do make it possible to take the planet. If possible, camp them in the dots between planets, forcing the other player to spend moves to get there, and then more moves to get out.

In tight quarters (such as the center hex), don't be afraid to camp a Tractor Beam Starcruiser on their big fleet directly. This forces them to use an attack to just get rid of it, and as Ryan says, every action is important, and unless they have extra move or attack actions, just killing your blockade will mean they'll have a harder time assaulting you.

Oh, and don't let one player get all 3 center planets without fighting for them - having both the Black Hole and Shooting Star available, plus the reroll from Pyrious (probably misspelled, I don't have my game handy) is huge.

Finally, another strategy I've found, too - if you see a Scoring round is coming up next turn, it can be a good time to take a planet or two away from a player who goes BEFORE you in the turn order - they won't be able to retaliate prior to the scoring card, which can give you a bit of an edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All great tips so far especially leapfrogging to undefended planets (this one really gets peoples goat! especially when you add in a "Thanks for the freebie!" comment). The Black hole ship is possibly the most powerful ship in the game with its 6 move and 3 attack value. If you can churn one out per turn you can guarantee a ship that can leapfrog and nab a scoring planet on every one of your turns.

Don't underestimate the value of a starfighter as cannon fodder to travel around with your starcruisers. 1 Starcruiser and 2 starfighters (total cost 6 credits) can take out a lone Sunhammer (cost 10 credits) prettyy routinely.

Realize when it's time to forgoe the technology race and build your armada. In later turns you wont be able to afford both actions unelss you are the (insert name of race that gets -1 to the cost of all techs).

Don't forget to score your home planet and don't hesitate to nab an opponents home planet if you are in the turn order after them on a scoring round. It's a quick cheap way to score 2 points and take them away from an opponent.

Finally if you are the last player in the last round and this may seem like a no brainer try to have your ships spread around on the prior turn so you can possibly take 3 planets in one fell lucky swoop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't underestimate the starfighter. They are great little defenders as you can output them in mass. Many starfighters can hold there own while waiting for reinforcments from your better ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play Eegh. The tech discount is essentially just a conditional +1 credit, which Collective Five does better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Keggy wrote:
Don't play Eegh. The tech discount is essentially just a conditional +1 credit, which Collective Five does better.

I played them last night and another player played Collective Five. I didn't think about that at the time but you make a good point. Collective Five won our game easily but I think that's more that he was really aggressive while I focused on tech and diplomacy. Subspace Scan didn't help me since I didn't encounter any cloaked ships at all with my Diplomats.

I was curious if I could win not being aggressive but building fleets more for defense of my allied planets. But I didn't build up a powerful enough fleet since I was spending a good chunk of money buying tech and buying cards/resources from other players. Once Collective Five had several Sunhammers he just started mowing down my fleets and conquering my systems.

The game reminds me of Small World a bit. The universe gets small real quick and you can't not expand in the later turns or you will get overrun by other more aggressive races.

Another player was the Mystics and they did much better then I doing mostly diplomacy and tech. Both of us were less aggressive then the other two players but he was able to leverage that better. Being able to draw diplomacy cards from the discards was huge.

I agree with you that Eegh is one of the weaker races. But it does have one of the cooler illustrations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Keggy wrote:

I played them last night and another player played Collective Five. I didn't think about that at the time but you make a good point. Collective Five won our game easily but I think that's more that he was really aggressive while I focused on tech and diplomacy. Subspace Scan didn't help me since I didn't encounter any cloaked ships at all with my Diplomats.

I was curious if I could win not being aggressive but building fleets more for defense of my allied planets. But I didn't build up a powerful enough fleet since I was spending a good chunk of money buying tech and buying cards/resources from other players. Once Collective Five had several Sunhammers he just started mowing down my fleets and conquering my systems.

The game reminds me of Small World a bit. The universe gets small real quick and you can't not expand in the later turns or you will get overrun by other more aggressive races.

Another player was the Mystics and they did much better then I doing mostly diplomacy and tech. Both of us were less aggressive then the other two players but he was able to leverage that better. Being able to draw diplomacy cards from the discards was huge.

I agree with you that Eegh is one of the weaker races. But it does have one of the cooler illustrations!

Don't underestimate the Eegh in the early game. Round 1 you can have a Diplomat, Centipede Tech, and a Centipede first turn. Load that centipede up on your diplomat and round 2 (or 3 sorry dont have game in front of me) build the tech that lets you move your Diplomat ship faster. Eegh should have the score lead in the first scoring round pretty easily while others are building up their war machine.

Also if you can ally with the planet that gives you -1 to tech cost you can effectively get the war lead pretty darn easily early in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Round 1 you can have a Diplomat, Centipede Tech, and a Centipede first turn. Load that centipede up on your diplomat and round 2 (or 3 sorry dont have game in front of me) build the tech that lets you move your Diplomat ship faster. Eegh should have the score lead in the first scoring round pretty easily while others are building up their war machine.

Also if you can ally with the planet that gives you -1 to tech cost you can effectively get the war lead pretty darn easily early in the game.

Diplomats cost 3, centipedes cost 2, and you only start with 4, so where are you getting that extra money from?

And the only part of their special ability that the robots can't copy is that they start with subspace scan. The robots can always just pretend that extra credit they get every turn is their tech discount, and keep the same tech pace as Eegh; the difference being they have the ability to spend it on something else, where Eegh can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.