Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently received a Marketplace order from a user here on the site. As a matter of process, I tend to check the info about the user (mostly looking for "red flags" - negatives, new users, etc.). This particular user had 2 "neutral" ratings with NO comment among their low rating. Both feedbacks were from the same seller, months apart. Looking a little further, I see that this seller tends to leave neutral feedback with no comment on a lot of their transactions.

My question is why? How does this help BGG Marketplace "establish" users and good customers? User on BGG are generally nice and I rarely see negative feedback. Neutrals easily look negative for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I've only left one neutral feedback on BGG and it was for a "cancelled" order.

I wouldn't look to neutrals as true negatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably use neutral feedback if my experience was less than positive but not bad enough that I could justify giving negative feedback. I would certainly comment though, so that others know what the reason for the neutral feedback is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but there's the potential for retaliation (unfortunately) for negatives. I guess I'm not happy that people are being denied the recognition for a transaction because I have a lot of trouble believing that a sellers interaction with almost all customers is not a positive experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
I guess I'm not happy that people are being denied the recognition for a transaction because I have a lot of trouble believing that a sellers interaction with almost all customers is not a positive experience.

I guess that's why one should always have a closer look at who the feedback's coming from, like you did. If I see someone's getting their negative/neutral feedback from someone who only gives negative/neutral feedback, I tend to take that as a statement on the sender of the feedback rather than the recipient. Sure, not everyone will look closely, and sometimes it might be unfair, but isn't that always true about these feedback systems? Maybe a comment could be made obligatory, but then there's always the possibility they might just enter random gibberish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received neutral feedback in one way trades. They sent me a game as part of some other deal where I didn't have to send them a game.

In those cases neutral feedback wasn't negative. The transaction was just assymetrical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a neutral response...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ&NR=1&feature=ends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, I am not a fan of neutral without leaving any comment. I got a neutral rating once because the game that was supposed to be like new got damaged in the mail and I mentioned it to the seller to maybe pack games a little better in the future. He gave me a small refund but also a neutral rating whereas I gave him a positive. I was like "what did I do wrong"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a neutral once when I traded a game via math trade and, doing inventory, I somehow missed the fact that while all of the components were there, the rules were missing.

The person contacted me to fix it. He seemed rather irate, but that was probably more the fact that every one of his math trades came less than satisfactory than as a personal slight to me (that's how I took it anyway).

I went and printed a nice colour copy of the rulebook and mailed it to him with some extra D10s for the inconvenience.

He left a neutral saying the game was incomplete, but I went to steps to fix it, although he had to work to get it right.

I was totally fine with a neutral, as it was my fault and he couldn't play it when he'd intended, and I've always double checked that the rules were present since. There is a time and a place for neutral (when it's not what you expected, but not as bad that you need to leave negative).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see good (and a few not so good) reasons for "one of" neutrals. What if the seller is completing 100's of transactions and leaves no comment/neutrals for all of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
I see good (and a few not so good) reasons for "one of" neutrals. What if the seller is completing 100's of transactions and leaves no comment/neutrals for all of them?
Very common for math traders to rack up neutrals if I'm remembering correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
If you DO leave positive and negative feedback, leaving blanks
clutters up your interface to do so. I generally give positive
so long as everything works out, but with withdrawn deals and the
like, neutral seems appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Jones
United Kingdom
Chandlers Ford
Hampshire
flag msg tools
All I would say is, that if the seller had been that dissatisfied why re buy a few months later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear good examples on "one of" neutrals. This particular seller has over 2,000 feedback and the VAST MAJORITY (99%) are blank neutrals. Unless this seller is depressed all the time and can't bear leaving a positive feedback, this is their MO.

As a frequent buyer from a variety of sources (including BGG), and I ordered an item and promptly paid with no issues, I would be PISSED if the seller left me a neutral feedback. I can't imagine how a seller would justify to me that it was appropriate. Considering the volume of feedback received and given, it just seems obnoxiously inconsiderate because there is no way (knowing the users on BGG) that they've had so many "neutral" experience with buyers (who, incidentally, leave positive feedback on the seller).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A tool in your choice arsenal is just not having any transactions with a BGGer that makes this their MO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
That's like calling isolationism a 'tool in the arsenal'. wow

Much more effort, but more generally effective, would be
to compile data on such patterns of rating behavior, and
publish it as a public service. That way more than one person
can benefit from such findings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, but the data does exist via the feedback system, although compiling would take an average user effort. Once the data was compiled, one could decide to sell/buy from such sources or not. Personally, I would stay away from such sources, because they are not the only game at the table. So, it isn't isolationism, but choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Manning
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll name names not as a slam but so new users are aware before they make a purchase. User rsolow of CLS Games appears to only leave neutral feedback. Two years ago I made a purchase that went swimmingly. I left positive feedback and noticed a few days later much to my chagrin that I received 2 neutral feedback without any comment. As a new user with a feedback rating of +3 I think the two neutrals would be viewed as a red flag by other users. As a result I lost any enthusiasm I had for the marketplace. I've only used it since to enable the BGG commission on auction items. I don't plan to make any future purchases from CLS games in any format. Somehow I suspect their sales would be a lot lower if their feedback rating consisted of over 2k neutrals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On its face, your % of neutral compared to overall does seem 1/good, except I would personally negate any feedback from an etailer like rsolow.

Why? Because they really are a quasi-BGGer... not really a traditional BGGer, but their "member" is just a place holder so they can sell on BGG. Their feedback input may be important to other etailers, but I am much more interested in viewing what like-kind sellers/buyers like myself think about a transaction with you.

rolow may have an automated feedback response system that never was adjusted. I'm sure they can answer for their procedures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
testudinoidea wrote:
I'll name names not as a slam but so new users are aware before they make a purchase. User rsolow of CLS Games appears to only leave neutral feedback. Two years ago I made a purchase that went swimmingly. I left positive feedback and noticed a few days later much to my chagrin that I received 2 neutral feedback without any comment. As a new user with a feedback rating of +3 I think the two neutrals would be viewed as a red flag by other users. As a result I lost any enthusiasm I had for the marketplace. I've only used it since to enable the BGG commission on auction items. I don't plan to make any future purchases from CLS games in any format. Somehow I suspect their sales would be a lot lower if their feedback rating consisted of over 2k neutrals.

I wasn't planning on naming names, but I did pause when a buyer of one of my items recently had 2 neutrals (out of 5 total feedback). A little digging revealed that it has nothing to do with a mediocre transaction (as best as I could tell) as it was a seller who didn't seem to want to bother to return the favor for all the positives they seemed to be racking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
testudinoidea wrote:

I just looked at my own feedback, assuming they were all good. I wish I would have known about this seller before I made 3 purchases with them and received 3 neutral feedback responses. I felt that I was a good buyer and paid fast. In fact, there were problems on their end on one of the purchases (which they resolved in a timely way). So a neutral feedback feels like a slap in the face! I will not make any future purchases with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.