Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
Please let your eyes adjust to the darkness.
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: This review consists primarily of images, and thus may take some time to load on slower connections. My apologies.

Editor's Note: Many thanks to BGG lurker Kate for gifting me her copy of Wits & Wagers.

For more PLAYMOBIL® Legion Reviews, check out The PLAYMOBIL® Legion Geeklist.

paperfred's PLAYMOBIL® Legion microbadge: mb

Legal Disclaimer: PLAYMOBIL® is the property of Geobra Brandstätter GmbH & Co. KG. Despite what the images in this review might suggest, absolutely no PLAYMOBIL® figures are included in Wits & Wagers. Apart from spending large amounts of money on their beautiful toys, I have no affiliation with PLAYMOBIL®.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, it's so good to see the Legion in another installment!

I especially love the Roman numerals, and the trivia questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
I especially love the Roman numerals, and the trivia questions.

Well, the Legion has trouble with those newfangled Arabic numerals, and then when we started going through the questions, none of them knew where the Misssissippi was or what an NFL is when it's at home, so I thought I'd better make some strategic substitutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing, love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! The Legion returns! Nice to see this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant deployment of "Aaah! Not the face!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Soot Sprite
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another gem of a review.

Touching on your 'roman numerals' comment, my only (mild) dissatisfaction with W&W is its US-centricity. I'd like to be able to buy the question packs from Gambit 7 (which is tricky to obtain in Australia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spritey wrote:
Another gem of a review.

Touching on your 'roman numerals' comment, my only (mild) dissatisfaction with W&W is its US-centricity. I'd like to be able to buy the question packs from Gambit 7 (which is tricky to obtain in Australia).

I want the Gambit 7 questions, too...hopefully they'll get a wider release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the legion investigated the connection between the number of hills in Rome and questions in Wits & Wagers? I'm sensing that Mr. Crapuchettes may have done this to curry favor with the Emperor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
spritey wrote:

I want the Gambit 7 questions, too...hopefully they'll get a wider release.

I would likewise be interested in seeing the "international" question packs made available over here. My lack of American pop culture and sporting knowledge is particularly lamentable (although the genius of W&W is that doesn't really matter very much).

The Legion, of course, will be lobbying Mr. Crapuchettes to start immediate production of an Ancient Rome set of questions. I originally asked them "in what year did Nero fiddle while Rome burned?" but they got into a huge argument about whether the year should be in Ab Urbe Condita or Anno Domini, then a fist fight broke out and I had to suspend shooting for the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Soot Sprite
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
Has the legion investigated the connection between the number of hills in Rome and questions in Wits & Wagers?

There are 173 questions in Wits & Wagers? Really!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spritey wrote:
spizio wrote:
Has the legion investigated the connection between the number of hills in Rome and questions in Wits & Wagers?

There are 173 questions in Wits & Wagers? Really!?

I'm sure there are only TWO questions in Wits and Wagers!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
Has the legion investigated the connection between the number of hills in Rome and questions in Wits & Wagers? I'm sensing that Mr. Crapuchettes may have done this to curry favor with the Emperor.

Thank you for bring this blunder to our attention. Our Department of Public Relations (DOPR) has decided that it is not advantageous to have people thinking we are curing favor with the Emperor. For this this reason (and this reason alone), we will change the number of per card questions for future print runs, starting with the release of Wits & Wagers Party at GenCon.

Suck it Mr Emperor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Suck it Mr Emperor!

I notice you are taking this tone only after the Emperor has returned an irrevocable "thumbs up" verdict!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
EmeraldYam wrote:
domcrap wrote:
Suck it Mr Emperor!

I notice you are taking this tone only after the Emperor has returned an irrevocable "thumbs up" verdict!

Well to be fair a thumbs up is revocable, a thumbs down on the other hand whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
EmeraldYam wrote:
domcrap wrote:
Suck it Mr Emperor!

Well to be fair a thumbs up is revocable, a thumbs down on the other hand whistle

Actually, I read somewhere that thumbs up meant "death" to the Romans...

... Google search ...

Quote:
DID THE ROMANS TURN THUMBS DOWN ON GLADIATORS?

LAWRENCE -- Everybody knows how a crowd in ancient Rome told one gladiator to kill another -- by the thumbs-down gesture.

But then everybody may be wrong, Anthony Philip Corbeill figures.

The University of Kansas associate professor of classics, having slogged through hundreds of references to ancient Roman thumbs in literature and art, has concluded that the thumbs-up gesture was the kill signal.

Moreover, Corbeill thinks that the raised thumb was probably in motion, reminiscent of gangsters ordering someone out of a room or of modern umpires declaring a runner out rather than safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a totally moot point of discussion anyways, as the Emperor doesn't actually have thumbs. But he's rather touchy on that subject, so we try not to raise it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Geekus Maximus will be delighted to know that his compatriots in the Legion Australianum are enjoying his work. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.