Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game using First Contact and loved it. Aside from some minor rules clarifications and it taking quite awhile playing solo and learning the rules in gameplay as I went to help teach the game, the only issue I really had was a couple misprint soldier cards. There were two of them for the Germans. It was weird, as a soldier got wounded I flipped the card over but didn't look too close. But then later when I tried to take an action and looked at the cards closer, I realized that the name, rank and serial number were different from the unwounded side of the card. I was like, "hey, I don't have that soldier, or that one"

Soldat Klug (584-450)became Gefreiter Amsel (569-227)

Gefreiter Foerster (077-314) became Soldat Schweizer (593-472)

I have the figures for Klug and Foerster, so I guess I have to contact LBG and hope for replacement cards.

I looked through all my other cards to double check them, base game and 2 squad packs, and didn't find any more misprinted cards (hopefully I didn't miss any )

Anyone else have this problem? I would hate for this to have happened while teaching someone and then try to explain it as a misprint, with them knowing that I dropped $360 on this stuff and have this issue.

Edit: As promised, I am posting today 6/28 that I received my replacement cards. LBG, Mike in particular, made good his promise to make things right. It took some work in searching through the soldier database but he did it and I appreciate it.

Thanks Mike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a post awhile back about someone having some cards mis-printed. If you contact the publisher they will replace them for you!

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, no. But now you've made me want to go back and check the wounded sides of all my cards. I don't think I've ever gone through and flipped them to check unless they've been wounded in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I guess I have to contact LBG."

Well, yeah, that would help them take care of the problem. No" hope" is required. They will fix it.

Why is it folks publish first, without even giving the publisher a chance to respond?

If you write and they ignore you, sure, post away.

There have been glitches like this occasionally and LBG has always made it right. But this thread will never go away.

Write mike.billings@lostbattalion.com

Give him your soldiers' names and dog tag numbers and tell him what is wrong. Check the soldier cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
"I guess I have to contact LBG."

Well, yeah, that would help them take care of the problem. No" hope" is required. They will fix it.

Why is it folks publish first, without even giving the publisher a chance to respond?

There have been glitches like this occasionally and LBG has always made it right. But this thread will never go away.

Give him your soldiers' names and dog tag numbers and tell him what is wrong. Check the soldier cards too.

I did contact them, and I do expect that it will be taken care of based on what I've read about their customer service.

I didn't create this thread to bash them, and so what if it doesn't go away. When I get the new cards I will edit the first post with a statement praising LBG for their great customer service and people will know that right away when reading the first post.

I did create this thread so that others can check their soldier cards to make sure both sides are as they should be. That way if they aren't, they can know to contact LBG and it will be properly resolved.

I understand glitches like this can happen, but I think that it's a good idea to let people know to check their cards so they don't get into a situation where they are demoing the game or playing the game with some friends and then the wrong soldier pops up when the card is flipped over and people are like WTF! To me, that is more of a negative publicity for potential new players than a thread like this letting people know to check their cards and that they will get taken care of right away.

Quote:

As I said, this wasn't a bashing post, more of a post to help players in letting them know to check their cards. I don't think it's any different then people creating a thread to discuss rules issues. In fact, those posts helped LBG create updated rules to make sure people know how to play the game and be willing to throw money into it. If this thread helps LBG double check cards before packaging them, then there will be less people contacting them with these issues. I just want to help as others have to make this game better. I'm going to teach it to my nephew tonight and to my gaming group sometime over the next couple weeks, so I have a vested interest in helping promote this game, not bash it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
so I guess I have to contact LBG and hope for replacement cards.

Well, I read that sentence the same way I guess kduke did-- "I guess" doesn't sound like you already have, and "and hope for" doesn't sound confident that they'll take care of you.

So you have contacted and you are confident. That's good.

If you'll cruise around, you'll find there are folks who post whiney complaints here but NEVER contact the company about it, like they prefer complaining to getting something fixed. "Woe, I'm oppressed."

Glad you aren't one of those.

I know getting stuff wrong is a hassle. When you think about the complexities of all these 'one of a kind' elements that still have to go through a printing process and be dealt with in quantity, it's probably the most amazing thing about SMG that so much of it is done well. I'd love to see how they make this stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Billings
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Greg,

I will go through the database to find your soldiers and see about getting them reprinted. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get it run through the factory. We are working to upgrade all of our quality control processes to prevent things like this happening. But, unfortunately mistakes do happen and we are always committed to correcting any issue that may come up. We want you to have a great time with your friends, telling interesting stories and a great looking product that makes people say Wow!

We will make it right. Cheers,
Mike B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Bill,

Yeah, I suppose I worded it kind of wrong. That wasn't my intention. I had contacted LBG directly after starting this thread. I should have sounded more confident in the process. I don't like to whine, but as I mentioned in my previous post, my intention for the thread was to make people aware about something that they can check and get fixed if need be. I had looked through all my cards to make sure there were seven for each soldier, and I had even looked at the other side of a couple just to look at when reading the rules. But I hadn't seen the backsides of the two in question until I was in the middle of a game. So I just was trying to bring awareness so people don't find out about a possible misprint at a bad time.

Part of my concern is that there's a great variety of guys in my game group of 35+ members. We have hardcore mini gamers, Euro board gamers, Ameritrash gamers, Memoir '44 and Flames of War gamers, a published game designer and playtesters for large game companies. So I really want to impress these guys with this game, especially since a lot of them know the investment in this system, so I didn't want something like a misprint of a card make the game look bad to some discriminating gamers.

@Mike B.

Thanks so much. I totally understand that this is quite an undertaking in producing this game, so I can see how it happens. I really like the game and want nothing more than for it to be a huge success. Besides the game looking great, I just know there are going to be some great stories to be told about game sessions and great memories that go along with this game that we'll be able to look back on and say, "remember when I had 1 wounded German soldier remaining and he managed to take down all 3 of your remaining Americans?" That will be fun.

Thanks again Mike. I have plenty of Germans in the meantime to throw into battle.

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill,
Being and Supply Chain guy, I would love to get a look at their operation too.... I ship both retail and mail order and am very impressed with LBG's quick turn around on such a one of a kind product.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="kduke"]"I guess I have to contact LBG."

Give him your soldiers' names and dog tag numbers and tell him what is wrong. Check the soldier cards too.[/q

Kevin I believe you are affiliated with LBG and I found your answer to be
bordering on rude. Customers should expect things to be right when they purchase an item and if not the company should make it right. Greg had a legimate gripe and LBG shouldn't be afraid to have it aired in this forum. I'm sorry I know people make mistakes, but misprinted cards are just sloppy and should be caught by qc before they ship especially at the prices for the Sergeants items. You don't make happy customers by scolding them, you make them by accepting responsiblity and making things right. You can say LBG is a small company, but that is even more reason for them to get it right.
Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my replacement cards from LBG for the misprinted ones in the first post. They look great and I appreciate the effort Mike made in making things right.

As promised, I updated the first post with an edit acknowledging that my issue has been resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I know LBG is sorry for the error. The real test comes after a player finds something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I really like these guys at LBG and want them to succeed. There are going to be growing pains and stumbles along the way, but you learn from them and improve as a company. I've had my own business before and I know that there's a learning curve, especially when you expand to try something different. Ultimately you make things right with the customer and they will reward you with more business and positive word of mouth, which is the best advertising you can get.

Customers will root on good people in business and give them more of a benefit of the doubt than they will with arrogant jerks.

LBG has listened to its customers and have striven to improve the rules clarity and have been active here at BGG. What's not to like about them and pull for them to do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.