Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
A boardgame based on the Colossal Cave Adventure - what an awesome idea! Pity it doesn't sound like a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
What made you think it did not sound good? Just not your type of game? Or did we actually say something to imply its not a quality game?

Well, you stated that it's only good as a light filler or for family who come over who don't play hobby games, but you also wrote:

Magus And Princess wrote:
Takes a few play-throughs to learn what cards are useful

Well, that's the kiss of death. Why would I want to introduce this game to family members who don't play much if they can't grasp the rules and strategies right away, and who definitely won't be playing it multiple times? From your description, I will grab Ticket to Ride over this every time because it instantly clicks with people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catanstrophe
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man -- I might have to get this just for the nostalgia factor. My best friend and I spent countless hours with this computer game WAYYY back in the day when we were kids.

Thanks for this review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@catanstrophe: Your choice of profile photo implies that you'll probably be disappointed on second glance; "Colossal Cave: The Board Game" is an adaptation of the Adventure that begins "You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building...", not the Atari(?) graphical one with the dragons. I keep telling Ryan it's a "computer game", not a "video game".

You can play the browser version here: http://quuxplusone.github.com/Advent/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been playing the Zork series recently, and I came across some reviews saying the Colossal Cave game (which I also remember) has some very quirky parser issues, only recognising certain very specific instructions at times - apparently it can be a bit frustrating and "unfair" at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catanstrophe
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quuxplusone wrote:
@catanstrophe: Your choice of profile photo implies that you'll probably be disappointed on second glance; "Colossal Cave: The Board Game" is an adaptation of the Adventure that begins "You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building...", not the Atari(?) graphical one with the dragons. I keep telling Ryan it's a "computer game", not a "video game".

You can play the browser version here: http://quuxplusone.github.com/Advent/

Nope, I don't have my "Adventures" confused -- my profile pic is just an homage to another blast from the past.

You oughta do a Zork board game next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I've just been playing the Zork series recently, and I came across some reviews saying the Colossal Cave game (which I also remember) has some very quirky parser issues, only recognising certain very specific instructions at times - apparently it can be a bit frustrating and "unfair" at times.
Actually, in my experience (and I should know, now!), Adventure's two-word parser is really well implemented; it's hardly ever a case of fighting the parser, or "guess the verb". (Except if you're trying to KILL DWARF.)

The first time one of my friends played my port of Adventure, a few turns after entering the cave, he commented in amazement: "I just keep typing IN, and I keep going in!"

That said, a couple of the puzzles in Adventure are ridiculously unfair, and Adventure 550 is exponentially worse. In this modern era, I don't believe anyone has the patience and masochistic tendencies required to complete Adventure 550 unspoiled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls