Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently came across an opportunity to get one of these games and I just can't decide. I've watched numerous videos for both and my lean is probably ityotd, but maybe you can make me more confident or change my mind.

I like the idea of ityotd because of the "bad stuff WILL happen to you" aspect. That seems like it would be pretty unique to my collection. I like London because of all the unique cards that give you so many options. I love variable player power, and I've always felt unique cards kind of emulates that. I really am torn as both seem like my kind of game.

My highest rated euros are Imperial, Agricola, Caylus, Power Grid, and Senji. I love player interaction, but it doesnt always have to be direct. Blocking somebody's move in Caylus by your own move or with provost is quite enough if the rest of the game is great. Haha, also buying all the fuel to stop a power plant from firing is pretty cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year of the Dragon gets my vote, but London is good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played ITYOTD so I can't comment on that, but while I really like London, it has even less player interaction than Caylus or Power Grid.

At most you can "block" another player by taking a card he wanted or buying a district he wanted. But you can rarely tell when another player wants a particular card (other than just good cards being wanted by everyone generally) and the poverty penalties generally discourage you from taking a card just to block someone, so I wouldn't say this is like Caylus or even Power Grid.

The districts are all largely interchangeable except for their cost/card/points ratios, but there are usually multiple districts that are similar enough to the ratio you want. And again, even when you do end up "blocking" someone (e.g., they wanted the Underground station or a district on the river), it's often completely unintentional (the cards that take advantage of those things only come out later in the game).

All in all, as good a game as it is, player interaction (even under your broad definition) is NOT one of its strong suits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoSEVEN wrote:
My highest rated euros are Imperial, Agricola, Caylus, Power Grid, and Senji. I love player interaction, but it doesnt always have to be direct. Blocking somebody's move in Caylus by your own move or with provost is quite enough if the rest of the game is great. Haha, also buying all the fuel to stop a power plant from firing is pretty cool too.

You sound like a guy who would love In the Year of the Dragon. Great game, and it provides lots of opportunities for screwage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
tacoSEVEN wrote:

You sound like a guy who would love In the Year of the Dragon. Great game, and it provides lots of opportunities for screwage.

Based on the three recommendations here,I'm going dragons. London will have to come later. Thank you all for weighing in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You summarized correctly in your OP - ItYotD is a very unique game, and if you enjoy the "negativity", will be a great addition to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.