Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games last about an hour and a half at the longest. So I'm in the same boat as you, buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games lasted 2 hours at maximum, most often 1,5 hours... We haven't played it for a long time :cry:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a player who needs to read, not only his cards, but the cards that the other players play...
He tries to develop the best strategy.
That can make things last a lot...

Munchkin is not for that type of chess-like strategists.
It is about having fun and not hurting one's brains too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had games of Munchkin last 3 to 4 hours. However that was almost a different time (to be exact about 6-8 years ago)

When we had long games it was because the alcohol/beer was flowing and everyone who wasn't involved in the current turn were being social. While they would still focus on the game, they would bring up other topics. The gamer in me didn't care since everyone was having such a good time.

The other problem we had was that many (if not all of us) are very cutthroat. I've had games where I would hit level 10. Get very quiet and after 5 seconds (yes way after the 2.5 seconds) declare myself a winner. I had one opponent who would misdirect everyone to stop with everything they have either the player to his left (usually his girlfriend) or whomever the current leader was. Than it would be his turn, kick the door down, get treasure and by luck "go looking for trouble" oh wait...the potted plant...and we just played everything on the other player.

The length of time really depends on how focused everyone is, and how much "Take that" everyone is dishing out (like in most Steve Jackson Games.) The more Take that people hand out...usually the longer it takes for someone to be the victor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the new rules for more starting cards, and also using the "listening at the door" rule both seem to make things go quicker than a lot of players remember with the old rules.

Also, if your group starts to play by always keeping spoiler cards it can make the game take longer, especially if you have 5+ players. This is when you start to see everyone at level 9 just waiting for all the whammy cards to run out.

Don't think I've ever seem anything near a 3 hour game myself, but I've seen games that have gone almost an hour after multiple players have hit level 9 simply due to the play style mentioned above. One of our current favorite variants is to set a hidden timer to end the game after about an hour or so (depending on the number of players and sets used). This way everyone is more prone to play their cards earlier, and the winner is less likely determined by whoever's turn comes up when noone else has a card to stop them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless players actively work at ending the game, the game can drag on and on. Every player you add adds at least 30 minutes due to the 'new' pool of spoileres. Every expansion adds a number of spoilers; hence why I generally will play almost anything other than Munchkin any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Morand
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played 3 hr. games of munchkin but those have been 10 player games with multiple expansions. Most of my 6-7 player games last 2 hrs. or less. As long as you have experienced players games go pretty quick even with the occasional rules question and one or two epic "but wait now it s a lvl 47 monster" battles that tend to take longer with response and counters tending to add up. Yes if you are playing with a bunch of rules lawyers or newbies and you have to pull up the munchkin faq every 5 minutes it can take a while (I have a super secret source for speedy card rulings but...). In short the only game that should take more than 2 hrs. is a larger than the box recommends game or a game of munchkin quest which is a 3-4 hr. game + 30min. for each player over 4 (or something like that) and technically not part of this discussion. I am a spoiler card holder. I may change my play style this Monday and play extra dirty and see if it affects the game more than just causing everyone to hate me...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one 6 player game than ran 4+ hours. It became painful...every time someone got close to level 10, everyone else ganged up on them with curses and pumped up their monsters to prevent their chance at winning. It FINALLY ended when everyone had burned all their blocking cards on one player and the next player got their 10th level.

It happens and its a bit of a free-for-all due to the rules... That particular experience had me table the game for a long while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.