Subject: Acquiring buildings without purchasing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Gorman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The intrigue card Real Estate Deal and the quest Lure Artisans of Mirabar allow you to get buildings from the Builder's Hall without actually purchasing them, but they don't say whether or not you get the victory tokens that accumulate on them. With Real Estate Deal, it tells you to replace the building, which suggests that you might replace it with the previous victory tokens on it, although that's not clear.

This came up in a kind of annoying way, when I had this question about Real Estate Deal, but decided not to bring it up and assuming that I didn't get the points (so that way I wouldn't reveal the card), but later my opponent claimed that the quest allowed him to take the points. Since we hadn't agreed in advance (although I could have), I went with it, but I'm far from certain about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoW FAQ:

"Does an effect that places a Building or puts a Building into play count as purchasing the Building?
No. You count as having purchased a Building only if you assign an Agent to Builder's Hall and pay the Gold cost of the Building. Putting a Building into play by other means (such as by completing a Quest) does not count as purchasing the Building. However, if you put a Building into play under your control from Builder's Hall and that Building has any Victory Point tokens on it, you gain those Victory Points regardless of whether you purchased it or simply put it in play."

Last sentence being the key for this question.

http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2233
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Gorman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot. Don't know how I managed to miss that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend played this for first time (finally) and had a quest that specificly said i could play a building "from the building stack" and "put it into play under your control."

I don't have the cards in front of me (i'm at work), however, my friend and i took "from the stack" to mean i had to draw the top building from the building supply stack and take it randomly, not choose one of the three that are laid out on the board. This card mentions the word "stack" thus our interpretation. Plus it made sense to us from a balance standpoint that i got a free building, but didn't have the luxury of choosing it.

In most games, the components/cards always trump the rulebook, so can anyone please clarify this ruling vs. the rulebook or FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the space on the actual board says "Building Stack" and the card says "from the Building Stack", it's safe to say that's where you take the building from.

I think you played it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, the building stack is the face-down stack of unbuilt buildings. There are effects which allow you to choose a pace-up building to put into play, but they say "choose 1 building in Builder's Hall".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, when you complete the quest, Placate the Walking Statue, as part of the reward you draw the top building from the building stack (not from the three buildings face up in the Builders Hall), and you put that building into play under your control without paying for it.

ath3ist wrote:
Last weekend played this for first time (finally) and had a quest that specificly said i could play a building "from the building stack" and "put it into play under your control."

I don't have the cards in front of me (i'm at work), however, my friend and i took "from the stack" to mean i had to draw the top building from the building supply stack and take it randomly, not choose one of the three that are laid out on the board. This card mentions the word "stack" thus our interpretation. Plus it made sense to us from a balance standpoint that i got a free building, but didn't have the luxury of choosing it.

In most games, the components/cards always trump the rulebook, so can anyone please clarify this ruling vs. the rulebook or FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks all!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.