Hide
11 Posts

Pirates of the Spanish Main» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone still play this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Fake Name
msg tools
I still have my (extensive) collection, and I would like to sell it. Interest change, family, etc etc and I would rather sell it to someone who plays than just toss it in the dumpster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Head over to www.miniaturetrading.com - you'll find the bulk of the remaining community for the game there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
034TH wrote:
I still have my (extensive) collection, and I would like to sell it. Interest change, family, etc etc and I would rather sell it to someone who plays than just toss it in the dumpster.

Lots of people still do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I still do. It is a terrific way to get a quick pirate fix:

Whale's Tale Ale + Pretzels + Little plastic boats = Arrr!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been plenty of Pirates lots sold on eBay. As Kyle said, the miniature trading forum is most active. If you do post on ebay, dropping a note into the "eBay" thread in the Pirates subfolder of MT's forums will get the attention of most of that community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I just actually broke this out again within the last week or so, and am introducing a friend to it (and some of the variant games people have created.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
I'll never abandon this game. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently dragged my collection out of storage and started organizing it and am working on building some fleets. Hopefully someone in my local gaming group will be interested in playing this with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so casual, and can be played in so many different ways that it is worth keeping. I have a few dozen ships and am always on the look out on ebay for deals. I have played it a few times recently with friends who don't really play games. They liked that you have little ships to sail around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
elTigreCHino wrote:
This game is so casual, and can be played in so many different ways that it is worth keeping.
The original rules to the game were intentionally left somewhat open-ended so people could make all sorts of tweaks and house rules.

Then the initial release completely blew away all expectations and players started to demand tournament rules, so the rules had to be tightened up. That led to years of disagreements and arguments about the rules, and ultimately to the massive FAQ that covers almost every possible nuance in fine detail.

Of course, at this point with the game long out of production I can't imagine that there are many (if any) people that actually still play this using the 100% official rules. Everyone has their house rules, both major and minor, to make the game more fun for them and their groups.

Despite countless plays over the years, I can't recall if I've ever played this one strictly "by-the-book". That silly "more than half" rule (and the rule that goes with it about about splitting gold on sunken ships) is sooo easy to get rid of, and makes the game so much better even if you change nothing else about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bucheger
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:
Of course, at this point with the game long out of production I can't imagine that there are many (if any) people that actually still play this using the 100% official rules. Everyone has their house rules, both major and minor, to make the game more fun for them and their groups.

I think I might be one of those rare few that do play with all the official rules. Okay, maybe 99%. I personally like to trash the "no treasure split" rule in multiplayer games. It gives payers like me who love their big warships a way to collect a couple doubloons without having to spend too many points on gold runners. Sure it seems unrealistic sometimes, but then, some of the game mechanics aren't necessarily very realistic either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.