Subject: My first 10! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, not so much a review, but random musings why I rated this a 10.

Deckbuilding:
I like deckbuilding since I started to play Middle-earth. While it was still in print it had an active player community in my area, but now we're only three. So with no new cards and no new players the urge to build new decks has faded for me.

I also played Warhammer: Invasion It started with a community of more than 10 players, but this community kind of collapsed within 1 1/2 years. And why should I buy new cards and build decks when there's noone to compete with.

The cooperative play of LotR seems to be the answer to above problems. In contrast to other L/CCGs you don't need a working competetive environment. The adventure packs and the expansions will provide the new challenges. You can just meet with your friend(s) once or twice a month, build decks and face the new quest. And if you fail, you try to improve your decks and face it again until you succeed. And you can try different deckbuilding approaches like building thematic decks, efficient decks, decks with cool combos and so on. And all you need is one or two other players, not the 10s needed for your usual PvP CCGs. And this is why LotR became my most played game. I meet with a friend (who since has also become addicted to this game) and we build/modify our decks and face the new adventure. And fail. And improve the decks and go at it again. And we'll meet again for the next quest.

Solitaire play:
I didn't plan to play solitaire much, when I bought this game. I just played a few games to get a hang of the mechanics. But me and my friend wanted to meet the next day to tackle the "Into the pit" scenario, at which we had miserably failed repeatedly before. So I sat down to build a new deck and test and improve it solo. And it was so much more fun than I had expected. And what a satisfying feeling when I beat the quest in the fourth try. From now on I will definetely go on more solo adventures with the upcoming packs.

So here's a game that I will play regularly once or twice a month, by far more often than all other games I play. And I just discovered that I really like the solo play. And the theme is also great for me as a former Middle-earth player. And most of the cards' illustrations are really nice, especially those fron Magali Villeneuve. And that's what makes this game a 10 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapitan Zbik
msg tools
mb
Well i rated it 10 at the beginning too. But quickly i noticed that this is just machine to drag the money. I have fist 6 expansions and realized that for the price of those expansions i can have 2 full games ( each expansion is around 12 euros ). If you want to play second cycle you need to purchase Khazad-dum.SICK! Sorry FF but this time i am not going to follow.
After i got Mage Knight i only made sure that LOTR is not worth this money at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's the other way round for me. I rated it an 8 in the beginning, but now have upped it to 10. Why? Because this game sees actual play time! I don't mind the monthly cost of 8 €. And I doubt that the game I would have bought for the saved 48 € that the first cycle costs would have seen that much play. And I hadn't so much fun in solo play since Ambush!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just wondering why do you need more than two players to play warhammer invasion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need more than 2 players for the deckbuilding to be challenging. Different ideas for the decks and different play styles. If you play against the same person with similar decks all the time, the urge to build new decks based on new ideas fades somehow. You need the extra impulse of different ideas, deck types and play styles that only come when you play against different people. At least that's so for me.

With LotR these impulse comes from the different scenarios in the packs and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the observations, BeardFan! I have a few friends who are into the game, but I suspect they COLLECT it more than they play it. I'm sort of wishing I'd gotten started when it first released. There are SO many expansions now! And, being a completist, I'd need 'em all!!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
KapitanZbik wrote:
Well i rated it 10 at the beginning too. But quickly i noticed that this is just machine to drag the money. I have fist 6 expansions and realized that for the price of those expansions i can have 2 full games ( each expansion is around 12 euros ). If you want to play second cycle you need to purchase Khazad-dum.....
I rate this game highly but tend to agree with your comments. I've wanted to purchase some expansions but I'm concerned that once I start I'll end up spending money on cards that could be spent on a new game. Don't get me wrong, I think this game is great, but this is a cash cow for the publisher and franchise and guess who is paying If money wasn't an issue for me, I would be all in on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Duvendack
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KapitanZbik wrote:
Well i rated it 10 at the beginning too. But quickly i noticed that this is just machine to drag the money. I have fist 6 expansions and realized that for the price of those expansions i can have 2 full games ( each expansion is around 12 euros ). If you want to play second cycle you need to purchase Khazad-dum.SICK! Sorry FF but this time i am not going to follow.
After i got Mage Knight i only made sure that LOTR is not worth this money at all.

Just to clarify: KapitanZbik has a valid point here. My 10 rating stands only BECAUSE I buy all expansions. For me this is OK, since it's not that much money, especially compared to the amounts I spent when I was still actively playing a CCG. And as stated before, I'm sure I get more fun out of this than out of other games I could buy for the money (in fact I still have some unplayed and even shrinkwrapped games in my shelf, now that's ill spent money).

But you have to be aware that there will be this kind of monetary committment when you really want to get into LotR. It's 8€ per monthly pack, and 15€ every half year for a big expansion. So we're talking about around 125€ per year.

You have to judge for yourself if that will be well spent money after checking out the core set, or if you'd rather spent that much money elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
i cancelled my mage knight pre-order once i got in to LotR

it may be expensive - but as a solo gamer, i am really just "buying" a new opponent to play against each month. I try to get for £7 off of amazon/ebay/bookdepository. which is fine for me.

Plus, the artwork is beautiful.

The cards that you buy each month will stay with you forever... on the LotR 100th anniversary you can flip out the cards and play with your grandkids. and then attempt dal guldur solo and lose (again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
This thing is without question another FFG cash cow like Invasion. I bought that one initially, then got out when I saw all the expansions on the way. Just didn't feel like I could make the financial commitment.

On the other hand, the bang for the buck in a game comes from the old question-"Will it see significant table time?" If it won't, no point in getting on board.

Still hoping one of my friends will teach me the game soon so I can decide from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Jen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The reason why I buy, play and continue buying LOTR is to SAVE money! I have a very compulsive habit when it comes to getting board/card games and as a result built up quite an extensive collection in less than a year. What with "life events" coming up recently, I have really had to curb my spending on gaming. LOTR is perfect for me, for £12 a month I get a new quest and some new player cards which I can use in older quests or try out new decks with them (I play solo and 2 player co-op with a friend who also collects the game). In turn this keeps me busy for a whole month and then BAM! the new AP is out! I will still get the delux expansions but as they come out at certain points in the year, someone will usually get them for me.

So I also give LOTR a 10, great value for money (from my perspective), looks great, unlimited options and just a whole load of good fun!

Whoops! I've posted this as my fiancee! This is the opinion of The Water Dancer, not AlicetheSpy she hates LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KapitanZbik wrote:

Actually Khazad Dum was when the game REALLY confirmed what I had hoped.

Hard, tough, challenging quests that really seemed to evoke the setting

I have been very impressed that each scenario tweaks the game a little, unlike the competitive LCGs

I should go and change my rating to a 10. Even if the scenarios have been uneven, the sum is greater than the parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Bellomar
United States
flag msg tools
mb
nssxxx wrote:
it may be expensive - but as a solo gamer, i am really just "buying" a new opponent to play against each month. I try to get for £7 off of amazon/ebay/bookdepository. which is fine for me.

Plus, the artwork is beautiful.

The cards that you buy each month will stay with you forever... on the LotR 100th anniversary you can flip out the cards and play with your grandkids. and then attempt dal guldur solo and lose (again)

I completely agree And I agree with AlicetheSpy because I have the same problem. I used to drop 50 pounds a month on Magic cards back when I used to work but now that I am poor I only pay 6 pounds a month off Amazon. Besides we've turned it into a game night so all my friends come over to tackle the new hunt for Gollum (Yes I am very new to this game I know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.