Subject: Where to start with strategic war games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
my only war game so far is CC:A and i am ok with the rules. They aren't that complicated and most is quite intuitive. Of course there are exceptions for all the units...
Ok now i have a tactical game and i' d like to get a more strategical one.
So.. what do i want exactly?
-For the most part 2 player
-Playing time shorter than 2,5h would be nice
-The rules shouldn't be too complicated, because i will have to teach this my GF or buddy and atleast my GF will tell me to shut up after 30 mins of explanation ( atleast at her stage of gaming career)

Probably my time constraints aren't good for a strategic wargame, but hopefully you can come up with one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough order for a strategic game, but you might want to look at Washington's War. It's the simpler end of the spectrum; the rules are online to get your bearings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! The Russian Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle is pretty easy to learn/teach. Very tense. Works well with wargamers and non wargamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:

I would be wary of this especially if you are new to wargaming and your buddy/GF are newer still. Suggest you download the rules and browse them first. While simpler than Axis Empires or World in Flames there is a lot going on in this game:

20 pages of rules
Supply
Organization
ZOC
Terrain/Weather
Counterattacks and counterblows
Strategic Movement
And about 20 specialized units.....

I think this is a huge leap up from CC:A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire: The Macedonian Punic Wars, 350-150BC fits all your criteria and is a familiar time period for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Williams
United States
Middle River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on, someone say it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Birckhead
United States
Nellysford
virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you could try 1812: The Invasion of Canada It's light and fun. Watch out one side seems to win more often than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Birckhead
United States
Nellysford
virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't even look at Case Blue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots is a good starting point. Two player with about as simple of rules as you'll find in a wargame. Hammer of the Scots is to block games as Washington's War is to Card Driven Games. Both are basically at the beginning end of their respective game trees. So, it kind of depends as to which route you'd like to go. Could play it safe and get both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Snowman wrote:

I would be wary of this especially if you are new to wargaming and your buddy/GF are newer still. Suggest you download the rules and browse them first. While simpler than Axis Empires or World in Flames there is a lot going on in this game:

20 pages of rules
Supply
Organization
ZOC
Terrain/Weather
Counterattacks and counterblows
Strategic Movement
And about 20 specialized units.....

I think this is a huge leap up from CC:A.

I agree what is said here, No Retreat is not a hard game per se, but it's hard to digest at first especially if you have no experience with concepts listed above.
I do agree that Washington's War is nice entry point to a CDG family and uses one deck with lesser card management aspect than Twilight Struggle (where cards can activate opponents activities, so you have to manage that aspect, there is no such thing in Washington's War, card play is very simple).
I do have some background in Euros, so at the risk of being flamed for this I would recommend Dominant Species as intro strategic game. It is pseudo wargame which would appeal to a lot non gamers.

Why addict only 1 person at the time when you can do that with up to 5 more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only wargame I ever convinced my wife (on our first date prior to taking in a movie) to play was War at Sea (second edition). She did pretty good but as light a wargame as it was there would be no way that my wife would play another wargame. She will play Carcassonne. Hard to say what would work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about some FREE "Online" versions for them kinds? Fortress America; and Superpowers whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Block games are usually strategic in scale and many have only 8 pages of rules. Caesar's Gallic War, for example, would be in the ancients period as would Julius Caesar.

Another non-block strategic game in the ancients period is Caesar XL. The listed playing time is 45 minutes, which would be an attractive place to start.

The rules for both are available for download. I'd suggest you download them and give them a read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
Hi,
my only war game so far is CC:A and i am ok with the rules. They aren't that complicated and most is quite intuitive. Of course there are exceptions for all the units...
Ok now i have a tactical game and i' d like to get a more strategical one.
So.. what do i want exactly?
-For the most part 2 player
-Playing time shorter than 2,5h would be nice
-The rules shouldn't be too complicated, because i will have to teach this my GF or buddy and atleast my GF will tell me to shut up after 30 mins of explanation ( atleast at her stage of gaming career)

Probably my time constraints aren't good for a strategic wargame, but hopefully you can come up with one.

Don't spend 30 minutes explaining the rules. Make sure you choose a game that you can learn easily yourself, and which is easy to pick up, so that you can explain the basic ideas in about 15 minutes, after which you can just jump in, start playing and pick up the rest as you go along. Whichever game you choose, I'd say that this 15-minute teaching time is the single most important criterion if you want to try to get your GF to play (according to what you said above). I'd also suggest a game that can be played in about 2 hours (for similar reasons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big One fits the bill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140440/the-beasts-17-n...

Some on that list I wouldn't recommend to start with, but, Paths of Glory might be your ticket.

Or, pick a high ranked title from this list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67945/death-to-the-cul...

...you can check game weight...maybe nothing higher than 3.8 to start with. Quite a few older games - which are great games - and you can pick up cheap - on that list.

You might as well taste a steak (even if you can't eat the whole thing yet), than downing a few Whities (as in white castle's). arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A House Divided
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140440/the-beasts-17-n...

Some on that list I wouldn't recommend to start with, but, Paths of Glory might be your ticket.

Or, pick a high ranked title from this list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67945/death-to-the-cul...

...you can check game weight...maybe nothing higher than 3.8 to start with. Quite a few older games - which are great games - and you can pick up cheap - on that list.

You might as well taste a steak (even if you can't eat the whole thing yet), than downing a few Whities (as in white castle's). arrrh

Paths of Glory as a first strategic wargame that you can teach your girlfriend in 30 minutes? Only if she is Barbara Tuchman..... POG is not only a beast, you kinda have to know a decent amount about the subject. Add to that unforgiving supply rules, events that need to be choreographed, dual scale maps, 5 fronts, and a bazillion exceptions. Yikes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all those recommendations.
Should i add 0,5 to 1 to the game's weight to see hiow it compares to euros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitler's War You can buy it on the BGG marketplace.

Also, Lost Battles, which is about Ancient Battles, has a strategic component. You can order it at Noble Knight (I have ordered and just received a second copy of this very fine game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
That's a tough order for a strategic game, but you might want to look at Washington's War. It's the simpler end of the spectrum; the rules are online to get your bearings.

Another vote for Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.